Saturday, December 8, 2012

Run Katie, Run

August 25th marked the day I had been training for all summer long.  Well, I was suppose to be training all summer, but I kind of got burned out by mid July.  Anyway, August 25th was my first half marathon.  The Top of Utah half runs 13.1 miles down Blacksmith Fork Canyon in Hyrum Utah.  My goal was to be under 2 hours, but as I said earlier, I kind of stopped training in mid July.  It was just too hot and I had too many other things to take up my time.  I was worried, come race time, that I wouldn't be able to hit my goal, but at the same time I was okay with that.  I had spent my summer focusing on my kids, giving them a good summer and making memories.  I was content with how I'd spent my time, but I still wanted to be under 2 hours.  :)

The night before the race we went to my parents house.  We had to be on the buses, headed up the canyon by 5:30 so I thought it would be best to spend the night in Logan.  That night I started feeling sick.  I hoped it was just nervousness  but I quickly realized I was indeed, sick.  I spent most of the night in the bathroom and was so bummed that I had to get sick the day of my run.  I was feeling okay, kind of, when 5:00 came around and decided to give it a try.  We, my dad ran the race also, headed to the buses and by the time we got to where the race started I was in serious need of a bathroom again.  As I sat in the bathroom I was nearly in tears.  I had trained for this and I was so upset that it was not going to happen for me.  I said a little prayer to make it though the race and headed to the starting line.

My stomach did pretty good the entire way down the mountain   I had some issues on mile marker 7 and thought I may have to stop at one of the bathrooms they had on the side of the road (this would have been fine, but it would have added time and I didn't want that.)  I managed to make it all the way to the finish line without habing to use the restroom and I was so happy.  Moments after crossing the finish line I was back in the bathroom and I was sick for the next day and a half, but I made it through the race and I'm so grateful for that.

My official time 1:58:12.  I was under my 2 hour goal.  What relief!  It was hard, exhausting, and crazy all at the same time.  I'm excited to do another one, hopefully next year.

No comments: