Saturday, December 8, 2012

A Visit With Some Old Friends

In late August, after checking Facebook, we noticed that some of our old friends from our first life in Virginia, were town.  Kevin and Debbie Roderick are amazing people.  They're the type of people I look at and hope that one day I can be somewhat like them.  A little background:  Right before we moved to our first ward in Virginia, Debbie was called to be Relief Society President.  After church, that first Sunday, I got a call from the Bishop asking to see me.  That very day, I was called to be 2nd counselor in the Relief Society. They hadn't even received my records yet.  Debbie said she saw me and instantly knew I was who she was looking for.  She took a gamble on me and because of that I was able to spend the next year or so learning from her and getting to know her and her amazing family.

We decided to take a chance and see if they may have time to meet with us.  Amazingly, they were able and willing to find a morning to spend with us.  We drove to Saratoga Springs and spent the morning at a park watching our kids play and catching up.  It was sooo great to see them and they've only become more amazing over time.  We looked through the wedding album of their oldest (how did she get old enough to be married) and I absolutely loved watching our kids play.  Most of their kids are older than ours, but they are so nice and accepting of anyone that they all played so nice together.  Time quickly got away from us and they had to go to their next activity   I'll be forever grateful to them for being willing to meet with us.  It brightened my day and reminded me of so many things I had forgotten.  I'm so grateful for the people I've met on my journey of adulthood and Roderick are high on the list of people and experiences I wouldn't change for the world.

No comments: