Thursday, December 13, 2012

First Day of School

The kids right before their first day back to public school.
So, we've had a lot of not happy things going on this fall and we felt it was probably best to put our kids back into public school.  It was a very hard decision, but one we felt was the correct decision to make.  They started school on October 22nd, just in time for some Halloween fun.  Sarah's teacher, Mr. Baker is a fantastic 5th grade teacher. She was so happy to have another male teacher.  She has learned a lot about US History and even got 100% on her name all 50 states test that she took 3 days into the school year.  She's doing well in all her subjects and is making new friends quickly.

Ben's teacher, Mrs. Nichols is also a great teacher.  From what I've heard from all the neighbor kids, she's the best 3rd grade teacher.  Ben loves his class and has made a ton of friends already. He is a part of the SEM program, which is for the above average students and he likes being able to participate in that.  He's  struggled most with boredom because he was the furthest ahead.  He keeps telling me how lame it is that they aren't even going to start multiplication until after the new year.  He is, however, handling his boredom well and seems to be happy to be back in school.

Hannah has adjusted well to school.  I was most worried about her because she is so behind because of speech.  Her reading level is well below the others in her class, but she is improving daily and I'm proud of her.  She gets discouraged sometimes and has told me how she doesn't like being the only one in class who can't read which breaks my heart, but we're working on improving that.  She always has a ton of homework because we're trying to get her caught up and I think I spend almost as much time on her now as I did when she was home schooled.  She loves the new speech teacher and really likes her normal teacher Mrs. Wilcox.  I'm quite impressed with her teacher as well.  She has met with me to give me some tips on how to help Hannah and to let me know Hannah is advanced in math. We're keeping an eye on her and hope to keep her in school. She has made lots of friends and really enjoys the social part of school.

So, that's the new development in our lives   I miss my kids a lot when their at school and I'm not ruling out the possibility of homeschooling them again.  For now, however  they're where we believe they need to be and all is well.

No comments: