Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sarah Kate Turns 6

Sarah Kate getting off the bus on her birthday. She had a wonderful day and was so proud of her Happy Birthday crown.
Our second kid birthday of the birthday season has come and gone. Sarah Kate turned 6 on Wednesday the 5th. It was a very anticipated birthday and hopefully it lived up to all the excitement. This was the first year we've had a school kid celebrate a birthday and being a Wednesday Sarah Kate was, of course, in school. Her day started out like most other days. She got up a little earlier than normal, out of excitement I believe, and was very cooperative which resulted in her getting ready very quickly. I had decided to make cupcakes and take them to her school to share with all her friends and, though we had made the cupcakes the night before, we decided to frost them the morning of her birthday. Luckily we had enough time and I just had to do some touch up work after Sarah Kate got on the bus.
While Sarah Kate was at school my day consisted of running to a bunch of different stores looking for presents. Due to sick kids and a workshop for Kenny that tied him up the whole weekend prior to her birthday, we weren't able to do a lot of birthday shopping for her. The items I bought the day before her birthday were not approved by Daddy as something he thought she would enjoy (I agreed with him on some of these off items) so I was left to hurry and find something for her on her birthday. After that I came home and put the kids down for a short nap while I worked on her cake some more. Yes, I did say work on her cake. That does mean that I didn't have her cake ready to go before her birthday like I had talked about doing on Ben's birthday, but in all fairness I didn't find out I was going shopping on her birthday until about 11:00 the night before and I had originally thought I had the whole day to finish it. Anyhoo, after the kids short nap I took them to a friends house while I went to the school for snack time.

Sarah Kate had already had a great day at school and she was so excited to see me there. When I arrived the class was in the middle of making lions as an art project, and I got to watch her finish. She, of course, wanted to show me everything she was doing, make me sit by her, and re-introduce me to all her friends. She felt very special.

Sarah Kate in the middle of making her lion.

When the lion making was over Sarah Kate helped me pass out the cupcakes. She walked around to every table and specially choose which kid got which cupcake. I didn't know passing out cupcakes could take so long and be so thought provoking. That's my Sarah Kate though. She's very particular in the things she does. The kids ate their cupcakes and I got many complements on how yummy the strawberry frosting was. Buying strawberry frosting was so hard after all. :)Strawberries are Sarah Kate's favorite and apparently the other kids in her class like them as well. After snack time I got to watch the kids play outside for recess. It was fun to watch Sarah play with all her friends. She is such a leader and it seemed everyone wanted to play with her and be her friend. I think some of that had to do with the fact that it was her birthday, but I also think it had to do with the fact that she's Sarah Kate. She was very fun to watch, but we may have to work on being a leader without being bossy. That's something that's hard to grasp for a kindergartner.

The kids playing outside at recess. Sarah Kate's in the middle of all the action.

I left in the middle of recess in order to have enough time to go get the little kids, do a little more work on the cake, and still make it to the bus stop in time to pick her up. Our first experience with a school age birthday was a success and Sarah LOVED having Mom come and make a big deal out of her special day.

No comments: