Thursday, March 27, 2008

My (Ben) Birthday

I wasn't going to write anything about my birthday because not much happened, but I have to write about what a wonderful, caring boy I have. It all started on Tuesday when Ben was trying to figure out what I wanted for my birthday.

Ben: Mommy what do you want for your birthday?
Me: I don't know buddy.
Ben: How about a Star Wars toy?
Me: Do you think I would like a Star Wars toy.
Ben: Yeah! Which one do you want? The Battle Droid? (That's the one Ben currently really really wants.)
Me: I don't know Bud. Daddy got a Star Wars toy for his birthday.
Ben: I know, you want the Battle Droid and when Obi-Won fights Darth Vader. That's what you want Mom.

After a little more discussion it was determined that that was what I really wanted for my birthday and that I would have a lot of fun playing with them. That night there was another discussion. This one involving transformers, but luckily it was determined that Star Wars toys were the way to go.

When Daddy got home at about 8:30 Ben had to tell him what I wanted for my birthday. While Daddy was in Ben and Sarah's room 'talking' to them he gave them the shirt and shorts he had bought for me. He had stopped at REI on his way home and gotten me something. I was shocked and surprisingly it was maybe even a better gift then the Star Wars toys (don't tell Ben though.)

The next day, my actual birthday, Ben remembered first thing when he got up to give me a hug and a kiss and tell me Happy Birthday, just like he said he would. The day was beautiful with the weather in the upper 60's to low 70's. I took the three little kids to the park to play with some friends while Sarah Kate was in school. In the car on the way home I told Ben we needed to go home to eat lunch. This led to a talk about where we were going for my birthday dinner. You guessed it, Chuck E Cheese's. What Mom doesn't want to go there for her birthday. There was also the issue of my cake.

Ben: Mom what kind of a cake are you going to make for yourself?
Me: I was thinking of making an apple cobbler instead of a cake.
Ben: No Mom! You want a cake. Guess which cake you want.
Me: A princess cake?
Ben: Nope.
Me: A Teddy bear cake, a Dora cake, a firefighter cake?
Ben: Nope, Nope, Nope.
Me: A Diego cake?
Ben: Yeah! That's it!

So my birthday was all mapped out. I was getting the Battle Droid and when Obi-Won fights Darth Vader. I was eating dinner at Chuck E Cheese's and I was making myself a Diego cake. Ben was so excited and he really thought that would be perfect for me. He was so cute planning my whole day and getting all excited about how much fun I would have. Even though they were all Ben's favorite things he was sure I would enjoy them also. I felt kind of bad when nothing happened.

That evening when we came in from playing at 7:30 and Ben said, "Mom, we have two problems. We didn't have any presents for you birthday or any wrapping presents or any cake." (Actually that's three problems, but when you're 4 the presents thing is one problem.) I replied by saying, "I know buddy. Daddy has another late night at work. We'll have to do it another day." This made him content for the time.

When we woke up this morning he came and got in bed with me. When Kenny got out of the shower Ben said, "Daddy, are you home today? We have two problems. We didn't have any presents or any wrapping of presents or any cake for Mom. We need to do it today." He's obviously very concerned for me. One day he'll understand that Mommy's and Daddy's don't have birthday's like kids do. In the mean time it has reminded me just how caring my little boy is and he sure maybe me feel special. What a lucky Mom I am.

No comments: