Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tubes Again

In the hospital bed waiting to go back for surgery.

It's been a good 6 months or so since I first noticed Hannah's hearing declining. We took her to the ENT in January and he decided, rather than immediately put tubes back in her ears, he would put her on a nasal spray that often clears up chronic fluid in the ears. I figured it was worth a try, but unfortunately Hannah wasn't one of those lucky kids that the nasal spray works on. After 3 1/2 months of being on the nasal spray I took her back in. I kept having to repeat myself because she'd tell me she couldn't hear me, her speech was going backwards and she was talking more and more in her throat. Dr. Hanks said her ears were still full of fluid and we decided to opt for permanent tubes. These don't fall out on there own and will need to be taken out in 4 or 5 years. I feel so bad that she needs to go in for tubes again, but they made such a big difference last time. I'm hopeful they'll make a big difference this time as well. She starts school in the fall and her speech is going to make things hard enough. I want her to be able to hear so she doesn't have to deal with that as well.

So, I scheduled her to get her tubes the Friday of Memorial Day weekend because I knew Kenny would be coming home that weekend. Kenny came home late Wednesday night and he offered to let me take her to the hospital on Friday while he watched the other kids. This time went much smoother than last. With no tonsils to take out she didn't even have to be put to sleep. It was much easier.

Notice her orange bear. It's the same one she got last time she was there. She wanted them to be twins.

We headed to the hospital about 6:30 on Friday morning. We had to wait a least 2 hours before they finally took Hannah back for surgery. By the end Hannah was getting very bored and really wanted to be done. Luckily they had some things to keep her busy like Disney Channel, PBS and coloring books.

Coloring while waiting to be taken back to surgery.

They finally came and to take her back for surgery. She was more than ready to go and wanted to get done. She waved bye to me as the nurses took her back to the OR. It was a quick 20 minutes and she was done with surgery. I went back to her room to wait and about 10 minutes later they brought her back. She was awake and happy and she wasn't in any pain. I was so surprised by it all. She remembered her last trip to the hospital when she got tubes in and her tonsils out. That visit was filled with Popsicle's and Popsicle's were exactly what she wanted when she got out of surgery this time.

She waited all morning for this Popsicle.

After her Popsicle the nurse asked her if she wanted ice cream. Sure why not! It's only 10 in the morning. Popsicle's and ice cream for breakfast. Hannah LOVES the hospital.

After her very traditional and healthy breakfast she was ready to go. Because she was doing so well they only kept her for about 30 minutes. She desperately wanted to get home to play with the other kids and I was just happy she was doing so well.

Waiting for the nurse to bring her paperwork for me to sign so she can go home.

After all the paperwork was signed the nurse asked Hannah if she wanted a wheelchair. She had no idea what the nurse meant, but she said yes anyway. When the nurse brought her the chair her face lit up and she said, "Do I get to ride in that." It's kind of funny how a trip to the hospital for surgery can be such a treat. Hannah loved every part of the hospital trip and I'm so glad it went so smoothly.

Hannah riding in the wheelchair on the way to the van.

When we got outside Hannah looked up at me and said, "Mom I can hear." That was music to my ears. I haven't had to repeat myself to her (at least not unless she's choosing not to hear me) and her speech has caught right back up to where it was before she stopped backtracking. I wish we would have done this in January, but I'm glad it's done and she can hear finally. Dr. Hanks did well and so did Hannah. Yay for tubes!

No comments: