Thursday, June 16, 2011

Where's The Flooding?

Sarah walking in the flooded Snake River enjoying a view of the Temple.

I've been hearing for weeks now about how we're suppose to be having this horrible flooding season. The Snake River is suppose to overflow it's banks and flood as much, if not worse, than it did in 1997 (which apparently was a bad flooding year.) I've been waiting for this flooding, but it just hasn't happened yet. Temperatures have, for the most part, been unseasonable cool which has kept the snow pack in the mountains and out of the rivers. I still think warmer weather will hit and that snow pack will melt and come downstream, but so far we haven't seen it. In fact, I heard on the news last night that the snow pack in the mountains north of here are at 415% of normal. Yep, all that has to come down sometime so I'm sure we'll be seeing flooding eventually.

For now we wait. We'd had some warmer weather the first few days of June so on Sunday the 5th I decided to take the kids to the river for a walk. The weather was beautiful outside and I thought is would be a nice Sunday activity. I wanted to see if the river had flooded at all and if the river had risen since the last time we were there. I let the girls stay in their church dresses thinking it would keep them out of the water more. Boy was I wrong. As soon as the kids saw the flooded sidewalk they went running for it. Oh well! We had a nice stroll along the flooded river and thought it wasn't very leisurely, the kids had a fun time and it was nice to get out as a family.

Normally there's a little cliff down to the river. Notice the river has almost overflowed it's banks.

Further upstream, above the falls, the river had flooded a little. The kids had a lot of fun walking and playing in the water.

Dan sat in the stroller and watched the other kids play. He wanted to get out so bad, that is until I finally let him out and he felt the cold water. He didn't last too long before he decided to get back in the stroller.

Ben pushing the boys through the water.

The girls walking along the flooded sidewalk.

On our way back to the van.

I think we'll have to head back down to the river the next time we get some nice weather. Well see if there's even more flooding.

No comments: