Wednesday, June 15, 2011

3rd Grade Banquet

Sarah and her favorite teacher of all time, Mr. Guymon

For the end of school Mr. Guymon decided he wanted to have a banquet for his class. He held a fundraiser during Family Reading Night in April and raised enough money to pay for the banquet and for the end of the year field trip to the zoo. So on Thursday May 19th I got a babysitter for the little kids (which they LOVED. They've never had a babysitter and they thought Cassidy was awesome) and Sarah and I headed out to her banquet.

When we arrived there was Little Ceaser's pizza and Capri Suns for everyone. Is that not the perfect meal for a 3rd grader? It was delicious and it was eaten up rather quickly. After some eating and mingling the program part of the evening began. Mr Guymon had a medal made for each kid the front had 3rd on it (for 3rd grade) and the back said "2010-2011 BE EXCELLENT Mr. Guymon's Class" How cool is that!?! I know as a kid I would have loved one of those. Mr. Guymon said he tried so hard to come up with the perfect 2 word saying and he kept coming back to "Be Excellent." That's what he wanted for all of his students. To try the best in everything they do and to strive for their excellence. What an amazing guy. I'm so glad Sarah was able to be in his class this year.

Mr. Guymon then proceeded to call each kid up individually and tell them why they are remarkable and in what ways they have touched him and helped him grow this year. It was very sweet to watch each student go up there and hear their teacher sing their praises. When it was Sarah's turn, I'll admit, I got teary eyed. It was so wonderful to listen to my child's teach talk about how wonderful she is and how much he enjoyed having her in his class.

Sorry about the video. I still don't know how to use the camera.

After everyone was presented with a medal the class had a gift for Mr. Guymon. On of the mothers had a picture framed for him with signatures from each of the kids. It was very sweet and he even got a little teared up. They also gave this 2 giant bags for tootsie rolls because during the ISAT test he gave the kids a consistent supply of tootsie rolls.


It was a fun night and I'm so glad I was able to go with Sarah. I really wish Kenny had been here to see it, but he was is in Oregon and couldn't come. We're grateful to Mr. Guymon for all his hard work this year. It made such a difference in Sarah's life and I know it made a difference in the lives of all the other kids in her class. I hope all my kids get a Mr. Guymon teacher sometime in their lives.

Sarah with her best friend Whitney.

We had to get a picture with Mr. and Mrs. Guymon. They are such a cute young couple. Awww,those were the days. Sarah loves Mrs. Guymon too. She would often come in and help and Sarah thought she was so neat.

No comments: