Thursday, June 16, 2011

Baby Bird

Our little baby robin friend

On Monday I had put the little boys in bed for naps and sent the other f 4 downstairs. I put Grace and Hannah in bed and told Ben and Sarah it was a nap or at least a good rest day. They were whiny and acting really tired and I needed a break. About an hour later Sarah came upstairs to tell me there was a bird in the window well. Sure enough, she was right. Somehow a little baby robin has falling in one of our window wells. I took the guardrail off to see if it would fly out. It was too young to fly and though it tried really hard, it just never quite made it out.

I left it down there for about 30 minutes to see if it could get out on it's own. When it didn't I decided to get Sarah's butterfly net to help it out. By this time all the kids were up, none of the oldest 4 ever napped, and they wanted to help. Sarah said she wanted to be the one lower down to get the bird out, but when it came time she chickened out. Ben asked next so I let him go down. I wanted him to catch the bird in the net, but he helped it up instead. It jumped over the edge of the window well and ran straight along the side of the house. Straight into the next window well. It was so funny. I was helping Ben up and Sarah started yelling, "No birdie, no, no." Then I heard her say OHHHHH! I couldn't believe it. It was hilarious.

Ben helping the bird up and out of the window well.

The robin hanging out on the little girls window sill.

I let Sarah get the bird out the second time and I told her to try really hard to catch it in the net. She did a great job and she climbed up and out of there with the bird safely relaxing in the net. She of course, wanted to keep it, but I made her set it lose back by the back fence. I don't know where it's nest is or I would have put it back. I really hope it's still alive and I feel kind of bad I didn't look harder for it's nest. Hopefully it's mom found it and it's safe in it's nest.

Sarah trying to catch the baby bird.

Resting in the butterfly net.

Everyone wanted to watch Sarah let the bird go.

No comments: