Thursday, August 30, 2012

Stepping in a Firepit

A picture we took on Kenny's phone at the hospital.  What a brave boy.
The weekend of June 23rd we were headed to Grace to do some more work on my in-laws pond.  We decided to make a stop on Friday night in Smithfield at Kenny's friend Andy's house.  His brother, another childhood friend of Kenny's, was in town from St. Louis and we haven't seen them in years.  They were getting together at Andy's that night and called to see if we wanted to join them.  It was a very fun evening.  We had pizza, swam in the neighbors pool, and then started a fire in the fire pit.  The kids played and the dad's decided to go on a bike ride up the canyon.  It was getting late, it was getting dark and I kept thinking to myself that I really should take the kids to my mom's house to sleep. It's what we agreed on earlier in the day, but the kids were having so much fun and it's not everyday they get to stay up and play with new friends.  Instead, we stuck around waiting for daddy to get back.  I was holding Dan near the fire pit, talking to Amy, Andy's wife, when Adam came walking over. I watched him walk near the fire pit and then it happened, in slow motion almost.  He stepped a little too close and his left foot slipped off the rim of the fire pit and down into the hot coals. He then fell forward landing with his arm on the rim of the fire pit.  I put Dan down as quick as I could and Amy and I both ran to Adam.  I scooped him up and we immediately ran into the house.  After less than a minute of running his foot under cold water I knew we needed to take Adam to the hospital.  We gave him some medicine and started getting some ice for the trip when Kenny pulled up.  He jumped into action and within a few minutes we were in the car and headed to the hospital.  We took Dan with us because he was scared to death, but left the other kids at Andy's house.
Adam's burned toes, the night after his accident.
We chose to go to the Specialty Hospital instead of the Logan Regional Hospital and we were very glad we did.  We were the only ones there, they took us back as soon as we arrived, and they were all very nice.  They gave Adam some more medicine for the pain and put special burn ointment on his foot.  They called the burn unit in Salt Lake at UofU hospital and told us that we would need to get him into the burn clinic.  I called my mom and had her come get Daniel and told her I'd call when we left the hospital.  We stuck around for awhile waiting for the medicine to work.  After about an hour they wrapped up Adam's foot and sent us home with what we would need to change his bandage over the weekend.  
The morning after.  His arm and foot are still bandaged up from the hospital.
My poor little baby was so brave.  He is definitely a strong little guy.  He cried and cried and my heart ached for him, but he was so good and cooperative at the same time.  We took turns holding him, waiting for the medicine to work and he ate suckers and was content to just be held.  When we were finally able to go, he was still sad and in pain, but a little of the normal Adam showed through when he waved at everyone and said bye and thank you.  I'm so amazed at what strength my little kids have.
Still able to smile even though he hurts.
After the hospital we went back to Andy's to pick up the other kids.  We decided to go to Grace and help with the pond because we were told Adam needed to go to the burn clinic the next day.  We originally decided to stay at my parents house that night and head back to Salt Lake early in the morning.  When we arrived to pick up Dan we had changed our minds and decided to just head home that night.  We got home around 2:00, put the kids in bed, only to find out early in the morning that the burn clinic couldn't see him until Monday.

Another shot of his burned foot the night after he stepped in the fire pit.






No comments: