Saturday, August 11, 2012

Run Katie Run

After my first 10k with my dad and cousin Kristin.
I've decided to take up running.  My dad is a marathon runner and has been for 30 years or some crazy number like that (as long as I can remember.)  He's always wanted to run with either my brother or I, but we've never been interested in it.  Ryan, my brother, tried to run last year, but hurt his ankle so he wasn't able to run.  I've tried in the past, but never really got into it enough to stick with it.  This February I decided to start working out.  It was time to make a lifestyle change and get rid of all this baby fat once and for all.  I started doing workout videos and then we got bikes and I rode my bike a little.  My cousin signed up for a half marathon and it made me think about getting back into running.  Kind of a, if she can do it I should be able to do it too, type of mentality.  I started running and to my amazement I was pretty good at it.  I started out running 3 miles (which I could barely do before) and was surprised at how easy it was.  I worked my way up to 6 miles and  decided I actually kind of liked running.  I got new shoes, signed up for the Top of Utah Half Marathon in August and decided to run the Health Days 10k with my dad and cousin over Mother's Day weekend.  
About to cross the finish line.
I didn't do as good on the race as I wanted to, but it was my first one and I was just starting.  Besides the entire first half of the run was up Smithfield Canyon and I had never run hills before.  It was a killer.  I finished in 56:53 which was not as fast as the 55:00 I was hoping for, but was close enough.  It was a lot of fun and I definitely felt the race fever.  It's fun to run races and I love that I don't have to compete with the top runners (there's no way I could compete with them) I can just compete against myself.

Kristin finishing up her run.

No comments: