Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Moving to Idaho

Well it's official. The move has been made and while we're still living in boxes, I'm starting to feel like someday life will become normal again. The boxing up in Virginia was a huge undertaking and as I said earlier I never could have done it without help from many friends and neighbors. My parents came out for my cousins wedding and spent the first part of their vacation helping me load the ABF truck. We had guys from church come at night and help Dad a little with the loading. After getting everything done, having check out inspection and saying bye to some friends we headed for the wedding in Maryland.

The ABF truck half way through loading.


That was the beginning of our drive across the country. The kids got to swim in the hotel swimming pool with Grandma before the wedding and all four of them loved it. It was a nice treat and a way to get out some energy after our busy and confusing week. The wedding was very nice (read below if interested) and we enjoyed seeing some family members.

Swimming with Grandma Gass


From there it was another 4 days of driving across the country. My parents drove as far as Cincinnati with me which is where we met my Mother-in-law. She flew in to finish the drive with me. My parents headed off to Nashville the next morning and then back to DC to catch their flight. It was nice having them with me. The kids loved having both Grandma's at the hotel with them at the same time.


Grandma Newbry with the little girls just on the Idaho border.

The drive was uneventful. The kids were very good and we only had bad weather the first day when we hit a rainstorm just outside Cincinnati. I almost lost the waverunner cover, but luckily my dad was behind me and was able to call me. We pulled over on the freeway and had to take the cover off. Past Cincinnati we hit a few minor rainstorms, but not much. The car did great, the kids did great, and we were so happy to have Grandma Newbry there to help. It sure made it easier for me.

We just had to stop and take a picture when we made it to Idaho. Four and a half days in a car with 4 small kids is quite a feat.


We made it to Idaho around 5:00 on Tuesday night. We spent the night in Grace and was joined by Kenny who came up to greet us. The kids were so happy to be out of the car, to be at Grandma's house where they could run around, and of course to see Daddy. It was so nice to finally be a family again. The next day we drove to Idaho Falls to see the new house. Kenny did a great job choosing it. It's in a wonderful neighborhood, in a great area. I think we're really going to like it here. We have spent most of our time since arriving in Idaho visiting family. While I've enjoyed seeing everyone I must admit I'm looking forward to a weekend with just our family at our house.

Our new house with the kids sitting out front.


This past weekend, when we were at my Mother-in-law's for the fourth, she asked me what I like most about the new house. I had to think a moment and decided I wasn't able to narrow it down to just one. I love that when I go to put the baby to bed I don't have to walk up the stairs to do so. I know that sounds lame, but I like having the kids on the same floor as me. I love being able to walk outside at night and feel the peacefulness. The air is dry and cool and the street just has this peacefulness that Virginia didn't have. Maybe it was because of all the people, I don't know for sure, but I do know it feels different here. I LOVE the garage. I didn't realize how much I would love having a garage big enough to pull my van into. When we first unloaded the moving truck the garage was too full of boxes to put the van in. After 3 days I had to move the boxes around to make room for the van. I missed the garage so much.



Riding their bikes in front of the house.

I think the best part is how much the kids love it here. In Virginia we lived on a hill (everything there was hilly) but here we live on a flat road. The kids have discovered their bike and they absolutely love riding them. It has been so much fun to watch them ride up and down the street, so proud of themselves for being able to do so. They love the big back yard and the little playhouse built into the wall downstairs. Sarah Kate has told me many times that she never wants to move. That right there tells me they like it and that is music to my ears. We loved our time in Virginia and at times I miss the house and the life we had there, but we are so happy to be here.

5 comments:

April and JJ said...

Your blog looks so cute! I don't know how to do mine as well as you do yours! Your house and yard look so nice! We really want to come visit! We had so much fun with you in Grace, thanks for pulling yourselves away from your great new house to visit! Tell Kenny that he's obnoxious and I can't believe he wouldn't give me whaling as a sport, but I couldn't fine anywhere on the net that said that it was ever a sport. So fine, he was right. And, he was also right about ticks. Blah!

Camille said...

I love your new house! I'm glad that you live closer now and that you are finally moved over. :) We will have to get together sometime!

Samm and David said...

Wow Kate. I love your house. It is SO nice. I am glad that you moved closer, although I never got to take advantage of visiting you when you lived in DC. Haha! I am trying to get plane tickets to UT for later this year, so cross your fingers. Oh, and I will bring David this time :)

edsajadaha05 said...

Oh how I am jealous! I miss flat land and one level houses! It looks great!! It looks like a wonderful area! We miss you all and yes, Katie, you were right Sharon Pomeroy is expecting! Hahaha!

Justin and Coralie said...

What a cute house! I love it. I hope y'all are enjoying your new place!