Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Catching Fireflies

My blogs are kind of out of order, but the most important part is that they're all here. The night of my cousin Sara's wedding they had a wonderful dinner that was preceded by the typical wedding program. It was late at night and though the program of talks by best man, maid of honor, father, father-in-law and so on was wonderful, my four children were tired and not cooperating and I was tired of trying to keep them quite. I decided it would be best for us and for anyone around us if we quietly (yeah right) slipped out until dinner was served. We went out the front door of the building to a nearby grassy area and to our surprise we found hundreds of fireflies. It was a delightful distraction and I was so glad the kids got to see and catch them before we moved.
Sarah Kate holding a firefly. Leave it up to her to be able to catch one her first try. I loved that she wasn't afraid of them and that she just went right ahead and caught them.
Ben's first firefly he caught himself! Sarah Kate was very good to share the fireflies she caught, but Ben wanted desperately to catch one himself. He kept trying and after about 10 minutes he caught one all by himself.
After about 15 minutes or so of firefly catching I decided to take the kids back in. They had to tell everyone they saw about the fireflies, even the photographers who were packing up to leave. They told my Aunt Diana who had never seen fireflies before. The kid, of course, had to take her outside and catch her one.
Aunt Diana holding a firefly. She thought they were very neat how they really do glow. If you've never seen one you're missing out. They're really are cool.

Showing the kids the firefly. The kids loved sharing this with Aunt Diana.

No comments: