Wednesday, July 16, 2008

4th of July

Well the 4th of July came and went and I still have yet to blog about it. We had a wonderful 4th. We went to Grace to spend the weekend with Kenny's family. I must admit as we were driving to Grace I was sad. I really wanted to be back in Virginia. DC on the 4th is a great place to be. I knew our friends were going to Mount Vernon and then to Gravely Point (this is a park where the airplanes from Regan National Airport fly right over head) to watch the fireworks. We did this last year and it was probably the most fun I've ever had on the 4th of July. Needless to say, I was a little bummed. Then we got to Soda Springs where we were met by Kenny's family who were saving us a spot at the parade. It was very nice to be with family and have the kind of 4th of July I remember as a kids. I will always be glad to have had the opportunity to spend the 4th in DC, but being with family isn't too bad. :)
As I said earlier we spent the 4th with Kenny's family. His two sisters Mindy and April came with their families and we also had the three youngest Kingston girls. Our niece Maddi was invited to Nationals in gymnastics and so Karen and Cory took Maddi and her older sister Nikki to Kansas so Maddi could preform. She did very well, but I can't remember her exact scores. We were all very proud of her.
Ben and Sarah Kate watching the parade.


Getting candy at the parade.


Mommy and Hannah enjoying the parade.

Gracie and Grandma Newbry

The 4th was filled with family, food, and fireworks. We started the morning off with the parade in Soda then went to the Geyser before heading back to the house. The kids enjoyed playing outside, playing inside, and just being together. The guys helped with the building of the greenhouse and the girls took care of the kids and food (two very important things.) We had hamburgers cooked over the fire for dinner and then a great firework display put on by Gary (my father-in-law) and Kenny, thanks to some great fireworks bought in Wyoming.


Aunt Mindy brought some water balloons and the kids enjoyed tossing them back and forth with blankets. It was a lot of fun, but the real fun came when they began playing hit Daddy/Uncle Kenny with as many water balloons as you can.


Kenny finally did get a chance to fit back.


Ben helping to build Grandma and Grandpa's greenhouse!

Ben was surrounded by girls with only one boy cousin, baby Zack who was 1 in February. He enjoyed the weekend, but at one point I recall hearing him yell, "I will not be married to Alli." The girls wanted to play house with him and even tried to turn him into a girl with their magic wands. He was desperate for some boy time, so he was allowed to dig in the greenhouse with the other dads. He felt really cool.

I love this picture. I just had to share it. I don't know what's going on with Alli, but she's clearly having fun holding Gracie (that or Gracie's squishing her to death and she's yelling for help.)

Getting ready for the cookout. I promise, despite their faces in this picture, the kids all had a wonderful day.

Watching the firework show!

No comments: