Sunday, February 24, 2013

Outdoor Cooking Requirements

When Ben started scouts I was not aware that he had to finish everything in his Wolf book before he turned 9.  I learned this fun little fact a few weeks before his 9th birthday.  Luckily we were almost done with everything, but there was one thing in particular that I was putting off.  Cooking a nutritious meal outside! I just really didn't want to do it this summer. I kept putting it off and putting it off thinking there would surely be a better time to do this requirement. Finally, when fall came, I had put it off long enough to just decide to do it next summer.  HaHa!  I guess I should have just gone ahead and done it in the summer.

Ben cooking pork chops out on our snow covered deck.

Fast forward a few months and we have one of the snowiest, coldest winters Salt Lake has had in years. January came and with it really cold, snowy, inversion weather that was just yucky and depressing.  We only had a few weeks to get this requirement done and the weather was not cooperating.  On the night January 27th and into the morning of the 28th we got at least 8 inches of snow, but that afternoon the temperatures warmed up to a balmy 30 degrees and the sun came out.  I jumped at the opportunity.  I scrapped the snow off the deck, dug the grill out of the snow, and Ben and I cooked pork chops outside in the best weather we'd had in months. It was kind of a fun adventure. It was definitely one we won't soon forget. He did a great job with the pork chops and even made frog eye salad and veggies to go with it. His last requirement was done and I learned a great lesson about scouting. Way to go Ben on getting your Wolf.

Ben showing off his delicious dinner. Nice work bud.


No comments: