Friday, April 8, 2011

OUCH!

We started going to the local gym because, well, both Kenny and I are fat and out of shape and because they were having a 30 day free special. It's been wonderful for our family and we really hope to be able to continue going. The pool has been so much fun and thanks to Kenny's experience as a swim teacher, the kids are finally learning how to swim. I've been working out many times a week and even though I haven't really lost any weight (grrrrr) I know it's been good for me and I'm now able to run 3 miles in about 33 minutes. Poor Kenny hasn't been as fortunate.

Our membership came with 4 free meetings with a personal trainer which turned out to be depressing because I learned just how out of shape and fat I really am. :) We got the time wrong on the first meeting with the trainer, and we were 30 minutes early. We decided to shoot some baskets in the gym while we waited. While there Kenny did something to his calf muscle. We're not sure what happened, but he heard and felt a popping and it hurt REAL bad. We're guessing he tore the muscle, but we're not sure. Whatever happened, it left him in a lot of pain and he even had to use crutches for a few days (that was partly because he also hurt his back so he couldn't put weight on his leg, but he couldn't stand up straight either, poor guy.)

He's doing better now, but it still hurts and it's definitely not back to normal. He is able to swim which is another reason that gym works so well for us. His calf muscle looks different now and not necessarily in a good way. It's got an indent to it that's kind of weird in a sort of scary way. The trainer told him not to worry about it for now and to give it 8 weeks. We'll wait and see, but if anyone has any idea as to what may have happened we'd be happy to hear them.

The good calf!

The bad calf (can you see the indent?)

1 comment:

Mama Winn said...

You're getting OLD, Kenny! Good for you, Katie!

So Kenny, the other day I knocked the candle jar off the candle warmer and spilled hot wax all over my kitchen...counter tops, cabinet fronts, walls and floors. I thought of you.

Love, Aunt nancy