Friday, October 31, 2008

Pre Halloween Fun

The kids in costume outside Trick or Treat Street
Flower Gracie, Witch Sarah, Pioneer Hannah, and Obi-Wan Kenobi Ben
We've been able to do so many fun Halloween things this year. It's been great and it's made me love Halloween even more. Rather than post on every single thing we've done I've decided to make one post of all the pre Halloween things. After Ben and Sarah decided what they wanted to be for Halloween we went looking for appropriate costumes. There didn't seem to be any that were what we wanted at a decent price so I decided to make them. I spend most of the week before Halloween making costumes. With the help of Kenny, I made Sarah's witch's cape, Hannah's bloomers, and most of Ben's costume. I must admit I was very amazed at how well the costumes turned out and how fun it was to do. I might have to make some costumes next year also.
Ben's costume; I made the robe and the shirt under it. Kenny made the belt and the light saber. Overall I think he makes a great Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Our pre Halloween fun started last weekend when we went to Mendon for Kingston's Fall Festival. Karen (my sister-in-law) was in charge of the activity and did an amazing job. We were joined by Karen's girls, my in-laws, and my other sister-in-law Sarah and her 2 boys. The kids all had a blast and I must admit I had fun too. The highlight was the huge slide that was really hard to climb especially when your dragging kids up it.

Climbing the slide with the kids. Sarah's on top, Hannah's in orange at my feet, Ben's in black at my feet, Gracie's in my arms, and cousin Travis in on my right in orange.

Hannah feeding Gracie a creamie. What a nice big sister!

We spent the night at Kingston's in Mendon and then the next morning Sarah (my sis-in-law) and I went to the school to help Karen clean up and inventory. It's amazing all the work she put into it. It took us longer than expected, but I was grateful to be there to help or it would have taken her forever. After helping at the school we all headed down to Salt Lake to go to Trick or Treat Street. We even talked Sarah into bringing her boys which took a lot of coaxing, but we were so grateful she was there. We met Kenny's parents and his sister April. We were only minus Mindy and missed her family and Savannah. While there we were able to meet the newest member of the Newbry extended family. April brought her new baby Carlie who is so cute and sweet and she made the cutest little fairy I've ever seen.

The Newbry cousins in costume (minus Savannah)

Hannah kissing baby Carlie

Trick or Treat Street is something they do at the expo center in Salt Lake. They decorate the inside with fake houses and the kids walk around knocking on doors and trick or treating. It's a great idea and a fun way for the kids to go trick or treating together. After loading up on candy we went to Chuck-a-Rama for dinner and then headed home. It was a long weekend that went really fast and we were all very tired when we got home. No rest though, we had the primary program in church the next morning starting at 9:00.

The Newbry Family at Trick or Treat Street.
It's dark in the expo center, but this picture gives you the idea of what it was like.


The two witches, Sarah and her cousin Missi.

Ben as Obi-Wan Kenobi

Flower Gracie with Ben's light saber.

Tired kids on our way home from Salt Lake

Our fun started up again on Wednesday when Sarah Kate had her Spooktacular at school (sorry, no pictures of this, oops.) I spent the morning at the school making cotton candy for her teacher and then came home at 11:30 to help get the little kids ready. We went to the party at the school (it was good, but I have to admit Karen's was tons better) and then around 2:00 we took 3 exhausted kids home for naps. Sarah was allowed to leave with us, but being Sarah, she wanted to stay and watch the movie until school was out so she could ride the bus home.
After Spooktacular the kids spent a few hours playing with friends and then we went to Boo at the Zoo. The kids loved trick or treating at the zoo and seeing all the animals. They had a costume contest and none of our kids won. What a disappointment! Oh well, the kids had a blast and again, we came home with more candy.

Digging for toys in the leaves at the zoo.


Gracie watching the chickens through the fence.

To finish off our Halloween fun we bought a blowup Halloween decoration for our front yard. Kenny found it at Sam's Club originally $180, sale price $30. We didn't know if the kids would like it given the dead people playing the piano and dancing, but it turns out they think it's really cool. They even chose which dead person each of them were. Aah! To be a kid again.

The kids with their friends Carina and Cy outside with our new decoration.

No comments: