Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Autumn Decorations

Our fall decorations

Fall is by far my favorite time of year. I love the smell, the cooler temperatures, the beautiful leaves that fall, and the holidays. I know it leads to winter and all the snow, but I love when the seasons change and things begin to settle down from all the busyness of summer. It's something I truly missed in Virginia where they had fall, but it wasn't the same as in the west.

I also like to decorate my house for fall. I'm a very earthy kind of girl and I love the browns, oranges, yellows, and reds of fall. For those of you who have never been to my house, we have one of those display areas near the ceiling in our front room. When we moved in I was very excited to be able to decorate it, but I was also very nervous. I know many people who have those type of areas in their house and they've decorated them so cute, I didn't know if I could compete. Well, Kenny and I decided to try anyway.

On Saturday we went to Robert's (a local craft store) that was having a sale on their very cute fall decorations. We chose a bunch and then brought them home to see how they'd look. Now every time I walk into that room I'm happier because it reminds of fall and I'll be honest, I think we did a pretty good job.


A closer look!


Funny story! We decorated Saturday night while the kids were in bed and Sarah Kate was the first one to see it Sunday morning. She was walking back from the kitchen when she stopped dead in her tracks, pointed up, and said, "What's that?" I asked her if she liked it and she said she liked everything except the leaning hay bale on the side. I asked why and she said, "Because that hay bale was supposed to be for my pumpkin." When I told her we would buy her another one when it gets closer to Halloween and pumpkin carving time, she decided the leaned bale looked fine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie,
I swear you make life in ID. sound so exciting. I am a little jealous. I am glad that you get lots of family time, and have lots of stuff to do out doors. I love the fall decor, it's my favorite season also.
Chelle

Justin and Coralie said...

It looks so cute! You did an awesome job with your display. I don't have many "seasonal" decorations yet... but I just went to a craft fair on Friday and now I think I should be able to pull something out of my hat... haha or at least I hope so. It looks great!

And I'm glad you're not bored with my way-too-much-detail catch-up. haha. I'm making our blog into a book, so I don't want to miss anything. :)

Samm and David said...

Very cute. I def. think it competes. Better than I could do, THAT'S for sure!!! I haven't even decorated yet...