Thursday, September 4, 2008

Other Weekend Vistors

After Mom left we had some other weekend visitors. Kenny's parent's called Saturday night to see if they could come up the next day for a short visit. We called Michael (Kenny's brother who lives in Pocatello) and his wife Sarah to see if they wanted to come also. So after church we got a visit from Grandma and Grandpa Newbry who ate dinner with use and helped us semi-plan our Yellowstone trip scheduled for the 12th. Michael and Sarah came late, just as Grandma and Grandpa were leaving.

Michael, Sarah and their two boys (Travis, Ben's age and Trent, Hannah's age) decided to spend the night. It was great. We put the kids to bed and then the adults stayed up and played games. Kenny won both games of 'Settlers' and yes I was kind of a sore loser. I'm a little embarrassed by it, but I think my sore losing was caused by three things. 1. It was almost 1:00 in the morning and I was very tired. I tend to get a little whiny when I'm tired. 2. He always wins this game. Our friends in Virginia can vouch for me, at least 9 out of 10 times Kenny wins this game. It's very irritating. 3. I've been a little lonely here, having made no friends yet and having no car during the day to go anywhere. I miss adult interaction (Kenny's the only adult interaction I get and he doesn't really count). So having Michael and Sarah come was great for me, and it just lost some of the fun when Kenny won both games so fast. Come on! You can't tell me you've never been a little upset when you don't win.

Anyway, we had a lot of fun with Michael, Sarah, and their boys. The adults stayed up way too late, we talked for over an hour after we got done playing, and the kids got up way too early. Oh, well! Small price to pay for family fun. The kids played most of the day Monday. Sarah and I went to Target and did a little shopping while most of the kids were left with the Dad's. We played some more game (this time we stayed clear of 'Settlers' and Kenny cheated for me so I could win one, what a nice guy) talked, and watched the kids play together. Kind of a lazy Labor Day, but it was perfect. They left around 4 and we put the kids down for a much needed short nap. We then spent the rest of the day getting ready for the work week.

The only picture I have of the weekend. Hannah and Travis playing dress-up. What you can't see is that underneath the Buzz costume, Travis has his regular clothes AND a full firefighter costume. He didn't get cold!



Life here is much different than Virginia. In Virginia we always complained that there was nothing to do, but here we've been going like crazy since arriving. It's been a blast having family, beautiful landscapes, and clean water nearby, but in a way I miss the boringness of Virginia. I was thinking of what we would have done over Labor Day had we been in Virginia. We probably would have complained about how there was nothing to do. Maybe we would have gone into the city or to Mount Vernon, but that probably would have been it. Maybe, probably, we would have gone for a walk to the marina with Gulicks. I miss that. Life's changing and I'm loving it here, but I'm thankful I have those memories of Virginia.

No comments: