Thursday, September 4, 2008

Strawberry Jam

The finished product! The kids were so proud of what they made.

On the way home from our day of fun with my Mom, we saw some people on the side of the road selling strawberries. They were selling a flat for $9.00 and I couldn't pass it up. So we stopped and bought some, thinking I'd make jam the next day, after church. Well, as my last blog said, we had unexpected company Sunday and Monday so the jam had to wait until Monday night. I ended up with 3 batches (I probably would have had 4 batches had I not waited the extra day) which is plenty and by the time I was done, I was done. Not that freezer jam is hard, it's just a little time consuming and messy.

Smushing the strawberries! Ben got a little too into it sometimes, it scared me. :)

Mixing the Strawberry Jam! We had to mix it for 3 minutes which was a long time for Sarah Kate, but she was determined to do it.
Ben and Sarah Kate helped me make the last batch. They enjoyed smushing the strawberries, mixing them, and tasting it, of course. It actually turned out really good. The next day I sent Sarah Kate to school with a peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwich. She loved it and as soon as she got home she asked if she could have another one. Now I just need to convince myself to make huckleberry jam.

4 comments:

edsajadaha05 said...

Oooh! That sounds yummy. Can I have the recipe?

The DeVito's said...

That sounds so yummy! I need to try to make that.

Mindy Newbry Dearden said...

Way to go Katie!!! Karen called to see if I wanted to bottle peaches with her and mom. Ummmm, not really, but thanks for asking! Your house looks really nice. Someday we might even make it up there to see it in person!

Todd and Julie Worthen said...

Hi Katie! I am so excited you found my blog and commented! Your family is so cute! You are so brave to make strawberry jam with your kids (sticky!) - It looks like you had fun. Todd says hi also!