Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Talent Show and End of School

I'm combining these two post because I did a horrible job taking pictures and I really just need to get my blog caught up. On May 12th Sarah Kate's 2nd grade class had a talent show. The kids were able to perform talents for their parents. Sarah had a hard time deciding what her talent was going to be. We haven't put her in dance, gymnastics, swimming, music lessons or anything like that so she didn't feel she had a talent. We talked about how much she likes to draw and decided that her talent was her art. She shared some fans she made and some Tom and Jerry comic books she drew. She was very nervous standing in front of all her friends and all their parents, but she did a great job.

Sarah Kate showing her Tom and Jerry comic book with some help from Mrs. Melander.

Showing off some of her fans.

A few weeks later school was over. I can't believe how fast this year has flown by. The last week of school was, of course, full of fun activities for the kids. Ben got to go to the zoo (Daddy went a long and Ben thought that was really cool) and he go for a walk to a nearby classmates house where they had hot dogs and got to play around in the backyard. Sarah Kate had assemblies and a class luau. The last day of school was May 28th and the kids enjoyed field day. Because we live in Idaho Falls the weather in May is very rarely warm. Luckily for field day the cold weather and rainclouds waited until about 10 minutes after the kids got home from school to arrive. The kids had a blast and were very ready for summer break.

Looking back on the school year I must admit I'm very pleased. I loved both of my kids teachers and I'm so proud of the progress each of them made. Ben is reading at an upper 1st grade level, he's doing addition, subtraction, and a little multiplication. Sarah Kate reads at a 4th grade level and was the highest scorer on accelerated math (something that was very important to her to maintain. She's very competitive.) I'm sad to see the year end, but I'm excited to see who their new teachers will be and all that they'll learn next year. Maybe I'll do a better job of documenting it. :)

No comments: