Thursday, August 19, 2010

Preston Rodeo Parade

Watching the parade.

The last weekend in July we headed down to my in-laws house. Kenny had some work appointments in both Grace and Preston so we decided that the kids and I would join him. We headed to Grace first and the kids played at the elementary school playground while Kenny did his first appointment. After that we made a quick stop at my in-laws to say hi to grandma before we headed to Preston for another appointment.

Ben and Hannah 'resting' before the parade.
Gracie and Sarah 'resting' before the parade.

This weekend also happened to be the same weekend as the famous Preston Night Rodeo. I grew up going to this rodeo every year and it was always a huge event in my family. Many of my fondest memories as a child are from this yearly event. It was kind of weird being back in Preston with my kids during the rodeo. I long for those good old days and for my kids to have the same experienced I had as a child. It definitely wasn't the same. I don't really have many family members in that area and there is definitely not a big family get together like there was when I was young.
Dan waiting for the parade and entertaining himself the the strollers buckle.

Instead of a big family get together, the kids and I went to Arctic Circle to have some ice cream and wait for Daddy. When he was done at his appointment we decided to stay for the parade. As a kid I always loved the parades during rodeo. They throw out soooo much candy and for a kid it's pure heaven. We were excited for the kids to get to see the parade and just enjoy one of the great things about summer. Much to our surprise this Friday night parade was an all horse parade. It was something new they were trying out this year and I must say it was a huge disappointed. The kids did get some candy, but very little, and in my opinion there are only so many horse you can look at walking down the street before you get bored. Oh well! Such as life. The kids enjoyed themselves, as best they could, and they even got to watch the parade with some friends of theirs who just happened to be in the same area as us. Overall, definitely not the best parade I've ever seen, but I'm glad we went anyway.

Waving at the horse and people as they passed by.

Getting some of the little candy that was thrown.

No comments: