Thursday, August 19, 2010

July In A Nutshell

View Image


July was another busy month. Summer seems to be that way. As I look back it doesn't seem like we did much, but it doesn't seem like we stopped doing things either. The first event in July the 4th of July. We decided to stay home this year for the 4th (it goes along with my holidays at home theme for the year.) My family was unable to come, but last minute my in-laws decided to come up for the fireworks. It was a very quick trip up for them, but we were happy to see them. We've heard a lot of good things about the Idaho Falls 4th of July fireworks and were excited to check them out. We looked online to find out where the best place to see them was and decided to go down by the snake river about 4:00 to get a good area on the grass. The whole family walked to a great spot by the river. Kenny went back to the car to get the chairs and stuff while I watched the kids. Of course within the first 5 minutes, Gracie went head first into the river. Poor kid! It was a very shallow area where the water wasn't moving fast so I didn't have to worry about that, but I was helping Dan and wasn't there to catch her when she toppled over. She was drenched from head to toe and not happy. Frankly neither was I because I had told the kids repeatedly to stay away from the river and they wouldn't. Oh well! She learned a lesson and I took her back to the car to change. I also took Hannah and Dan with me to the house to get a few things we had forgotten to pack. We went to the grocery store and got lunchables for dinner and some snack items and then headed back to out great spot. Ben, Sarah, and Daddy had set up our area, done some walking around and just enjoyed their time as big kids with Daddy. After that we waited for the fireworks to start. My in-laws came about 8:00 and the kids played card games with them and we took them for walks to pass the time. Around 10:00 the fireworks started and much to our surprise our great spot was, well, not so great. I don't know if they moved the fireworks this year (that was kind of our guess considering how many people swore it was a great spot and were completely caught off guard by the actual location of the firework) or if we and/or the Internet was just way off. Anyway, they were in a totally different spot than we thought. We had a few great big trees in front of us. Kind of disappointing, but from what we could see, the fireworks were really good. We look forward to trying again next year and actually seeing all of them. My in-laws spent the night and went to church with us the next day. We walked down by the river after church and enjoyed spending some time with them.

Other than the 4th of July we didn't have many things happen during July. The kids have really enjoyed the summer and being outside. They ride their bikes all the time and love to come in for Popsicles when it's too hot. We set up their swimming pool and they swim and play in the water for hours at a time. It's been a very unstructured summer which has been nice in some ways, but not in others. I'm looking forward to next summer when we have more income and less of a pregnant Mom. It'll be nice to be able to do things.

Sadly that's about all we did in July. We stayed home and played and just lived life. Kenny worked a lot which was hard for the family, but was necessary. We miss him when he's busy or not here, but I'm very proud of all that he's doing. There were a few other things done in July that I'm going to blog about, but for the most part nothing substantial happened. I guess that makes it easy to blog about, right. :)

No comments: