Saturday, March 13, 2010

Ben's Birthday Cake

As I mentioned earlier I had failed to make a cake for Ben's birthday. The following day was his party and I decided to give it one more try. I did away with the instructions that said to use shortening and flour to make sure it didn't stick and sprayed it with non-stick cooking spray instead (something the directions said not to do.) I then floured it to make sure I had sprayed everywhere and to my amazement the cake came out perfectly. I know now not to read the instructions when it comes to those cakes.

Ben's Scooby Do cake. I almost wrote a 5 on it. Thanks goodness I didn't. :)

I decorated it quickly, got ready for the party, and when it was time for the cake I was so relieved that it had worked. The boys all thought the Scooby Do cake was cool and were excited to eat it. We sang Happy Birthday to Ben, dished out cake to everyone, and then let Ben show the boys how we eat birthday cake at our house.
Ben blew out the candles before we finished singing and I didn't get a picture of him. Here he is before the candles were blown out.

Ben showing the boys, nicely, how we eat cake. It got messier, trust me.

The boys were surprisingly a little apprehensive. I thought for sure they would just dig in with their faces, but instead they looked around at each other. You could just see them asking each other with their eyes, "Is this really OK?" It took a few minutes, but they all started eating cake like Ben and then the mess and silliness began.
The boys starting to dig in.

Here we go. Now we're getting some messy faces.

By the time they were done the boys had cake in their eyes and up their noses. I know they all loved it because it was the first thing they told their parents they did when they came to get them. I talked to our friend Sara awhile later, she's the mother of the twins, and she told me Gavin and Ryker have already informed her that they are going to do that for their birthday. Looks like it may become a Hix traditions too. Sorry Sara! :)

No comments: