Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Beautiful Day for a Baptism

Sarah Kate in her beautiful white dress, right before getting changed for her baptism.

The day had finally arrived and it was a beautiful day. Sarah Kate was lucky enough to be able to be baptised the day after she turned 8. It just so happened that was the first Saturday in March. She was very excited and having the 2 special days so close made it that much more special. We had been in Salt Lake the day before and didn't arrive home until late Friday night, but come Saturday morning we were all awake and ready for this very important day.

Daddy and Sarah Kate before getting changed.

Sarah Kate and Daddy all ready for the baptism.

As soon as Sarah Kate woke up I took her to Kohl's to buy a pair of shoes. She had been given a beautiful white dress from a dear friend (see earlier post) and I'd totally forgot to buy shoes. I meant to do so while in Salt Lake, but I was distracted. So first thing we did was buy a pair of white shoes to go with her white dress. When we got home it was time to get ready. Sarah was so excited to wear her dress and I must say she looked beautiful.

Our family with Grandma's and Grandpa's. Thanks for coming.

Sarah Kate with the flowers Daddy gave her.

Grandma and Grandpa Newbry arrived a few minutes before we headed to the church where we met Grandma and Grandpa Gass. I know most people invite all the family and friends they have nearby to baptisms, but we decided to make it a simple day. We only invited grandparents because we wanted Sarah to be able to focus on the spirit of the day. Family and cousins would have been fun, but we felt it was important to be simple in order to focus on what was taking place.
Our little family. What a happy day.

We arrived at the church just in time to take a few pictures and then send Sarah Kate and Daddy to change close. Sarah was so excited and she was smiling from ear to ear even before it started. The program before the baptism was very nice and it even featured a talk give by Kenny about baptism. They did a spotlight on each of the kids and then started calling them back to be baptized. Sarah Kate was third and she was very excited. She didn't get to see anyone else get baptized, but she decided that was OK.

With Mom and Grandma's

With Dad and Grandpa's

It was so fun to watch. The little kids got to go up to the glass and watch which I absolutely loved. I loved that my little kids got to see their big sister be such a good example. Sarah was nervous but she did wonderful and we are so proud of her. Kenny was never able to baptize anyone on his mission so this was a first for him. I think it's so neat that his first baptism got to be his little girl. She was glowing and I could tell she was touched by the spirit. After the baptism we all went in the primary room to have her confirmed. Kenny gave a beautiful blessing and Sarah was so beautiful sitting up there.
We are definitely lucky parents.

I'm so grateful Sarah decided to be baptized. We are so proud of her that she chose to make this important step in her life. I'm grateful for her example. After she was baptized Hannah insisted on practicing getting baptized by Kenny. She practiced over and over again and when they got done confirming her, as soon as Sarah Kate stood up, Hannah Beth ran to the front of the room and sat in the chair, waiting for her turn. I love watching the excitement my children have for the gospel. Sarah's great example has definitely lit a spark for Hannah.

3 comments:

MadMadameMim said...

what a wonderful day. She looks so beautiful, and so grown up.
Isn't it an amazing feeling having you child baptized? I loved it!

Camille said...

Samantha really wanted to go up there for the baptism, but Merin and I were out of town that weekend. I felt bad. :( We need to start planning our next trip up there...I am thinking an overnighter would be fun. I will see if I can get work off one night next week.

April and JJ said...

She looks so cute! I can't believe she's 8 already! Do you know how big she was when I got married? Not big at all!