Monday, March 30, 2009

Turning 30, Parties, and Others

Blowing out my candles with help from Gracie

I thought I'd do a quick update on what we've been doing this week. Not much happened, but we did manage to keep busy. The first part of the week went pretty smooth. Then on Wednesday I woke up at 6:45 to get Sarah ready for school. I was feeling kind of dizzy and when I stood up everything around me was spinning. I tried to focus on the door, but it kept moving out of my frame of vision. It was the weirdest thing I had ever experienced. I managed to make it down the hall and into Sarah's room. She asked if she could stay asleep and have me drive her to school. I was all for this considering how dizzy I was. I walked to the couch and laid down. The kids got up about a half hour later and I got up, trying to help Sarah get ready. I barely made it to the hall before I almost tipped over. I went in the bedroom and told Kenny he had to get her ready because I wasn't going to be able to. He got her ready for school and drove her, with all of the other kids, to school.

When Kenny got back he asked me what I needed and I asked him to call the doctor. I wanted to make sure everything was OK with me and the baby. They asked me to come in immediately. Kenny took me in and then waited in the car with the little kids (it was just easier that way.) They took some blood, took my vitals, and did some tests on me. The doctor had me try to follow her finger. Sounds simple I know, but I just couldn't do it. Anyway, it turns out I had a migraine. I've never had a migraine before so I didn't know what it was. The doctor thinks it was caused by stress (4 small kids, an unemployed husband, and being 26 weeks pregnant, I don't know what I would have to be stressed about.) They gave me some medicine and told me to go home and rest. I did just that. The medicine stopped the spinning so I was able to sleep.

The next day just happened to be my 30th birthday. I was feeling a little better, but still not great. I spent most of the day in bed and Kenny was nice enough to watch the kids for me. He also bought 6 raspberry filled donuts and had the kids decorate them for me. When Sarah got home from school we broke out the donuts, blew out the candles (3, my candles are in decades now) and then we each ate the donut we decorated. Kenny told me he thought I'd seen enough cake in the last little while and he thought I'd like donuts better. He was right and so thoughtful. We all enjoyed the donuts and then Sarah went to a birthday party. It wasn't much of a birthday, but considering how I felt, it was good.


Donuts decorated by the famiy.
Top: Ben's, Kenny's, Sarah's
Bottom: Gracie, Hannah's, and mine
We had 2 parties for the kids after my birthday. Sarah's best friend Carina had a birthday party and Sarah was able to spend the night. It was her first sleepover and she did very well. She only called me once to tell me she was a little nervous. After that, Carina's mom said she sat upstairs for a little while and then went and played. She had a lot of fun and didn't come home the next day until around noon. Meanwhile, Ben had a church party on Friday. He got to go to Leo's pizza place with his primary class as a treat for them being good for 10 Sunday's. I took him and then hung out to help for the hour and a half of the party. He had a lot of fun with his church friends playing on the toys and eating pizza. It was a fun time for both kids.

The rest of the week was pretty boring. We were going to go to Boise for Kenny's Aunt Janet's surprise birthday party, but we made the tough choice to save our money and not go. Instead we stayed home and did nothing. Kenny got sick late on Saturday night and threw up once and then had a very bad headache (I wonder if his could be stress too.) He was still sick on Sunday morning so I told him to go back to sleep and I took the kids to church. I was very proud of myself, taking 4 little kids and my big pregnant self to all of church all by myself. Everything went smooth until halfway through nursery when they brought me Hannah whose dress had fallen in the toilet while she was trying to go potty. I had to rush her home to change her dress and I found Kenny just waking up with a headache. I went back to church and the rest of the day went smooth.

So, that was our week. I guess it was a little busier than than I originally thought. It's currently spring break so we have Sarah home for almost a week. It's nice to have her home. I'm looking forward to summer break when she's around more often. Hopefully I'll be feeling better and we can do more things.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

SORRY you felt cruddy! We missed you this weekend but totally understand on making the money saving decision. Sometimes being responsible adults is no fun but I always appreciate it later.

Justin and Coralie said...

As I was reading this, I was wondering if you had had a migraine...

6 weeks before delivery with Jaden, I got really dizzy and I couldn't see anything. I tried to read a sign and I could barely make out the letters (everything was SO blurry!). I had to go to the hospital and I had high blood pressure, etc. It was a migraine too... my first one! It's scary though when you don't know what's happening.

I'm glad you're feeling better though :) Let me know if I can help you out in any way. It sounds like you have your hands full!

Carolyn said...

I hope you start feeling better! That sounds awful. And happy belated birthday!

Good luck with everything.