Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Crazy Hair Day

My attempt at Crazy Hair
On Thursday February 26th Sarah's school was having crazy hair day. They were suppose to show their school spirit by doing the craziest hair they could and then the one kid from each class with the craziest hair won a prize. The thought of this made Sarah Kate jump for joy. She talked about it for days and the night before, she made sure I promised to get her up early so we could do her crazy hair.
Now if any of you know me, well, I'm not much of a hair person. In fact I'm really pathetic when it comes to hair. I wish I wasn't, but I guess I just wasn't given that talent. My hairstyles, and my girls for that matter, are very plain which suits us just fine, but when it came to crazy hair day I had to get creative. The only thing I could think of was to put wire in her hair and make it stand up. Great idea, right! Well, great idea for someone who can do hair.

Thursday morning I got Sarah up for school, got the wire out of the garage, and tried to figure out how to make her hair stand up (I really should have tried it the night before.) Luckily for me I'm married to a wire wonderboy who devised a way to make the wire stay and the hair stand up. Originally, I thought I'd have lots of different braids spread out all over, but Sarah only wanted one. She was very determined to have one braid so I changed my plan and we went with just one. After getting the wire in place and braiding the hair up it we discovered that she had too much hair and the weight of it was dragging the wire down. I took it out, braided only some of the hair up the wire, and put the rest into two little braids down her back. It seemed to work much better and she was very happy with it.
The back!
I took her to school and of course, being Sarah Kate, she was terrified she would be the only one with crazy hair. It took awhile, and the sight of others with crazy hair, to convince her that she could indeed get out of the car. Before she left I reminded her that it was OK if she didn't when the prize for her class. She said, "I know Mom. Sometimes it's good to lose so other people can win." Yeah for her, but this is much easier said than done.
She may not have won, but she liked it and that's all that mattered.
When she got home from school she opened the door and the first thing out of her mouth was a very grumpy, "I lost." The poor kid was near tears and I wouldn't be surprised if it ruined her entire day. We calmed her down and had a little talk about loosing and about the girl that won. Apparently she had made her hair into a palm tree with the help of a pop bottle. Very cleaver! We told Sarah this was our first time with crazy hair and that we will do much better next year. That seemed to please her.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I think it looked great and tell Sarah I would have given her a prize!

Todd and Julie Worthen said...

What a good idea for crazy hair day! It turned out very cute - even if she didn't win!

Sarah Jean said...

What a fun thing to do! She looks so cute. I think your idea was quite creative.