Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sarah's Butterfly Cake


Sarah's butterfly cake.

I've been wondering if Sarah is getting a little old for my cakes. Kenny wants me to come up with an age when the kids no longer get a special cake (I think he's getting sick of me making them.) I don't like to think of my kids growing up so quickly so I don't want to think about them not wanting a cake anymore. This year, lucky for me, Sarah still wanted one. She is growing out of the princess and Dora thing so I wanted to make her something a little more grown up. I settled for a butterfly cake and it seemed to be a good choice. She didn't want to see it before it was cake time so I put it on the toaster oven and put a towel over it. When I finally brought it out she said she already knew, but she was happy anyway (I wonder if a sibling helped her figure out what it was!)
Sarah excited to blow out the candles.
Look at all those candles. Are there really 7!

Sarah was very patient as we sang her Happy Birthday (the longer version from her class) and when the time came she blew out the candles. It took her 2 breathes, but she did get them out. Hannah wanted to help, but Sarah was too quick. Poor Hannah was devastated that she didn't get to blow out the candles. Lucky for us her birthday is next and we convinced her that she could blow out her own candles on her birthday.


Sarah blowing out her candles as Hannah tries to help.

Hannah not being happy that the candles are out.

We had a lot of fun eating cake and ice cream (though Mom and Dad were so full from dinner that we didn't have any.) Sarah took the bottom half of the butterfly and Ben took the middle section including face and belly. Hannah and Grace each had their own smaller piece. The kids ate in their silly ways and made more mess than anything. That's the way cake is eaten around our house.
Sarah ready to eat the bottom half of her cake. She's such a goofy girl.


Ben enjoying the middle of the butterfly.

Hannah eating her cake without a fork.This is how Gracie chose to eat her cake.
She's such a goof ball.

Sarah's messy cake face.

When we finished the cake and ice cream it was time to clean everyone up and put them in bed. Another good day was finished and the kids were all happy, healthy, and full.

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

Your cake looks awesome! I'm glad that Sarah had a good birthday.

I love the picture of Gracie eating her cake - it's hilarious. :)

Nona said...

What a cute cake! I had to laugh at all your pics of the kids eating the cake... funny! Kids can always make ya laugh. You know I think that your Sarah and my Jordan would get along great! Jordan is into everything science too... the kid has been collecting rocks and gemstones since he was 3 y/o. His collection finally got so big we finally made a cedar showcase for them and entered them into the C.C. fair. He got a blue ribbon! :) We got our kids rollerblades last year too... I think it would be fun to get together in Pocky and go skating at the roller rink... what do ya think? My kids would love that!

Four Winns said...

Am I totally lame because I think making a batch of brownies or a pan of rice crispy treats is just as good as a fancy cake? And, are you further along than me??? If so I am super jealous right now. By the third time around pregnancy has lost most of its charm I think. How do things feel the FIFTH time around? You're so crazy - in a good way.

Camille said...

Hey! Wanna give me some cake decorating lessons? :) We still need to get together sometime up in Idaho...maybe in April sometime?

Todd and Julie Worthen said...

That was an awesome cake! You are so talented! Your kids are so lucky that they get such cute cakes for their birthdays!

rdhcph1 said...

Oh my Gosh! Hannah looks just like Sarah Kate! I can't believe it. When I saw the first picture, I thought it was Hannah.

Aunt Cindy