Friday, March 27, 2009

Glasses For Sarah Kate

The day she got her glasses.

For quite some time we've noticed Sarah Kate squinting to see things and we've known we needed to get her into the eye doctor. When we went to her school for her birthday we noticed her get out of her chair and walk up to the board in order to see what was on it. It was at that point that I made the decision to stop putting off the eye doctor and just make the call. I found a local children's optometrist and made an appointment. We were all set to go on Thursday the 12th, until Sarah threw up at school on the 11th and spent all of the 12th with the flu. The poor kid. I rescheduled her appointment for the next Thursday.

I sent her to school that morning for about an hour, got the other kids ready, and then we picked Sarah up and headed to the doctor. She was a little nervous. She kept asking if it would hurt and what it would be like. I assured her that everything would be fine and it might actually be kind of fun. She did very well at the doctors and did everything she was asked, everything except see 20/20. Apparently she has REALLY bad eyes. They're almost as bad as mine. I had no idea they were so bad. It made me feel just awful. I guess the good thing is she never knew what she was missing out on. The doctor discovered that she is nearsighted and that she definitely needed glasses. We got her prescription and tried a number of different places looking for the perfect glasses.

Kenny helped her the most when it came to finding the perfect glasses. I entertained the little kids. She decided on a pair at Lens Crafters, and the were able to get them ready in an hour. We decided to wait to take her back to school until her glasses were ready. We ordered them and then took the kids to lunch. It was a rare treat that everyone enjoyed. After an hour we took her back and got her glasses.

It's hard having your child in glasses. I think she is so beautiful and so perfect and I feel bad that the glasses hide that beauty a little. Also having had glasses since 5th grade, I'm completely aware of what a pain they are and I feel bad that she has to have them. On the bright side she can definitely see better. She was fun to watch the first day because she kept lifting them up and telling us all the things she could see better with her glasses. I'm glad she can see now and that she likes them so much.

Sarah has done a great job taking care of and wearing her glasses. I was worried about getting her to keep them on, but I guess when they make that big of a difference it's not a huge struggle to get kids to wear them. She is always super careful with them and has done a good job of keeping them out of reach of her little sisters. We are so proud of how well she's done with them. It's too bad she has to have them, but that's OK I guess.

Sarah has sensitive eyes and the sunlight hurts them so we got her the lens that change to sunglasses in the sunlight. This has been a huge help to her and she thinks it's really cool. Luckily all her friends and family have been very supportive and the transition to glasses has been a smooth one. We think she's cute, Sarah thinks she cute, what do you think?

4 comments:

Justin and Coralie said...

What a beautiful little girl! :) She's so cute with her glasses - I'm glad they are helping so much!

Sarah Jean said...

Nice! I am glad you can see again. That is crazy that her eyes are nearly as bad as yours. Good thing you caught it at this point. She looks super cute and her beauty is still shining through.

Carolyn said...

I think she looks darling! I was in fifth grade when I got glasses, and I loved being able to see. I'm glad she's had a smooth transition.

rdhcph1 said...

Glasses are cool. Haven't you been keeping up on fashion? People even buy them with out prescriptive lenses in them just to be cool - so I say stay cool Sarah - You look Great!!!!!!