Saturday, August 30, 2008

Power Outages

Last week (sadly I don't remember the day, I want to say Tuesday) it was windy and at about 9:00 I was just getting ready to make myself breakfast. I was opening the pantry door when the lights went out and I hear Hannah yell from my room (she'd been watching a Barbie movie and was so mad at me because I had done something to make it turn off.) Ben had been downstairs playing Lego's and didn't notice the missing power. He came up a few minutes later and mentioned the wind was blowing a lot outside. I told him to try and turn the lights on. He tried and tried, but of course nothing happened. We had a little talk about how the power had gone out and so anything that took electricity were not working. (We didn't have a lot of power outages in Virginia so this was fairly new to him.) He, of course, being a 4 year old boy, had to try everything he could to see if it needed power. He opened the fridge, tried the ice and water thing of the freezer door, tried to open the garage (he panicked because he couldn't get his bike out) turned on the TV and many other things. It was so cool to him.

About a half an hour into the power outage I decided to go ahead and give the kids the bath they needed. Because their bathroom has no windows, I let the three of them (Sarah Kate was at school) take a bath in my tub. They played for awhile and then I got the two little girls out. Ben wanted to stay in and fill the tub with more water. We filled it up just past the jets and I had to explain that the 'bubbles' wouldn't work because there was no power. He had to try them anyway and announced that I was right, the 'bubbles' didn't work. I dress the girls and made Gracie a bottle. I was standing in the kitchen when the lights all came back on. At the precise moment the power came on I heard a deathly scream from BenBen in the tub. I knew immediately what had happen and had to laugh to myself as I went to calm him down.

By the time I reached him he was laughing. He said "Mommy, I turned the bubbles on to see if they had power, but I didn't push them to turn them off." The jets had come on while he was sitting there peacefully in the bathtub. I think it would have scared anyone half to death. He was a good sport about it and we both had a good laugh.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I agree it would have scared me too Ben!