Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Idaho Schools Are So Much Better Than Virginia Schools

Here are just a few differences between Virgina schools and Idaho schools. Sorry to all you Virginians who may like the way school is done out there. I personally prefer the way it's done here. Maybe that's because I'm from here.

When I got to school to take Sarah Kate's picture I was amazed at the number of parents going in and out of the school with their kids. At Sarah's old school we were told that dropping the kids off at the curb was better for the kids, so the parent's were not allowed in the school on the first day of class. I much prefer the Idaho way of doing the first day of school. Being able to see the classroom and help your kids meet their teacher can go along ways for the kids and parents.

I found Sarah Kate at the playground and she was so happy to see me. The first thing she said was, "Mommy, we get to play at the playground everyday when we get off the bus and we don't have to go in until the bell rings." What a perfect way to start the school year. In Virginia she was lucky to get recess at all during her all day kindergarten and if she got recess she went to the blacktop behind her classroom for the last 15 minutes of school, no joke! I could probably count on my fingers the number of times she played at the playground the entire year. So she was very trilled to be able to play at the playground.

The bell rang and I showed Sarah and Carina (also a first grader, but in a different class) where their rooms were. I was able to walk Sarah Kate into her classroom and help her find her seat. I talked to her a little, helped her meet the kids at her table, and then wished her luck and turned to leave. Her teacher, Mrs. Ramos, stopped me and talked to me for just a minute. She seems like a nice lady who actually likes kids. What a change from Ms. Gast. This is another big change, a nice teacher. I realize Ms. Gast was not necessarily the norm for Virginia teachers, but she was our experience and I'm glad not to have her teaching my kids any more.

Virginia wasn't all bad, but I'm very glad to be in Idaho. I'm so excited for this school year and all the possibilities it holds. We have back to school night tonight and I'll learn a little more about the school, Sarah's teacher, and where Sarah fits in her class. I'm hoping this year will be a positive experience and that Sarah Kate will learn that school and learning can be fun.

1 comment:

edsajadaha05 said...

Now now Katie,
Don't be so harsh:)
I can't believe that they allowed that teacher to be so cruel! I am so happy for Sarah and her tooth too!