Saturday, August 30, 2008

Our New Hobby

So, apparently the wind blows a lot in Idaho Falls. I don't think it's blown that much (not more than it did in Virginia) but I'm told it'll get worse with winter. I don't mind so much, at least it's not humid. Besides this wind has allowed us to adopt a new hobby. In Virginia Kenny bought a nice trick kite that he really wanted to fly. The wind blew often in Virginia (especially by our house which was near the Occoquan River) and it was fast, but it was often accompanied by rain and sometimes thunder and lightening. I've heard it's not a good idea to fly a kite in rain, thunder, or lightening so most of the time Kenny was unable to fly the kite. The few times there was fast enough wind with no rain, by the time he got the kite to a good place to fly it (away from all the trees) and set it up, the wind had died. It was very discouraging.

Kenny's trick kite.

Anyway, long story short, the wind in Idaho Falls has not been accompanied by rain so we've been able to fly kites. It's actually a lot of fun to fly a kite. The kids finally got to fly their Walmart $1.00 kites they got for Easter and they really enjoyed watching them soar in the sky. Sadly they all got a little to close and a little to tangle. I wasn't willing to spend hours untangling 3 dollar kites so they were retired. Luckily we still had Daddy's trick kite that is very loud, but very fun to fly.


This is a video of Kenny and Sarah Kate flying the trick kite. It's quite loud when the wind is really blowing, so loud that it scares Gracie (you can hear her cry a little in the video.) It's very fun and quite powerful. I think if Kenny wasn't helping Sarah Kate, the kite would have taken her away.

BenBen flying his kite!

Ben and Sarah's dollar kites. They held up much better than I expected.


Sarah Kate really enjoying flying her kite. She had the most patients for it and flew hers the longest.

2 comments:

Becca said...

Hey Katie, it's Rebecca (Jenkins) Hymas. You're family is sooo cute! We lived in Rexburg for five years, so I know what you're talking about with the wind. I hated it! And it really does get worse in winter. Check out our blog, I haven't updated for awhile, but I will soon.

Becca said...

Sorry, I forgot to tell you our blog. www.morgancadekali.blogspot.com I will have to send you an invite so check your email.