Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The First Day of School


The fist day of school has come and gone and I'm still amazed that Sarah Kate is now a first grader. Kindergarten went so fast and so did the summer. Now she's a first grader and sometimes it feels like next week she'll be in high school. Anyway, Sarah Kate had an amazing first day of school and is very excited to be at her new school with her new teacher.
The day started out like most school days. I was running a little behind and wasn't quite prepared. Sarah Kate was all ready to go, but the bus came a little early and when I discovered that the camera was not on top of the fridge like I thought it was, I was out of time and couldn't get any pictures of her. She ran out the garage as the bus was pulling away and the bus driver was nice enough to stop in front of our house for her. She jumped on and sat with Carina, a neighbor girl who is in her church class. She didn't seem to care that I didn't get a picture, but I was really bummed. I went inside all sad and Kenny told me I should just go to the school and take pictures of her getting off the bus. What a great idea, so I left him with the other three kids and went to the school to take her picture.
Showing me that she's in 1st grade

The bus beat me there so instead of watching Sarah Kate get off the bus, I found her at the playground with her friend Carina. She had a great first day of school and really liked her new school and teacher. (Read the next blog and I go into details about my time at the school.)

Playing at the playground
When school was over Sarah Kate told me she got to go to recess 3 times and they got to play on the playground each time. She also said her teacher never yelled at them and she didn't even have a whistle. As a parent I can't explain the gratitude I have for the fact that she had a good experience at school. I felt so bad last year with all that she had to go through, but this year looks so promising. She's smart and I'm not worried about her learning abilities, I just want her to have a normal, fun school experience.
Getting off the bus! It pulls right in front of our house which is really handy.

She's so excited to be home.

2 comments:

Chelle Sorenson said...

I am so jealous. Allowed in the school, what kind of crazy talk is that. I am glad that the school is go good.

Mindy Newbry Dearden said...

What a cutie! Looks like she likes school!