Thursday, January 31, 2008

Happy Birthday Daddy

Tuesday officially launched us into our birthday season. That means from now until my birthday on March 26th we have everyone's birthday except Gracie. It's kind of fun having a birthday season, but, I must admit, that by the time my birthday comes around I don't want to see, let alone make, another cake. I guess it's good my birthday's last.

Anyway back to Tuesday. It was Kenny's birthday. I won't tell you how old his is, but I must admit it's fun teasing him about being so old and fartly. I love the fact that I will always be at least 4 years younger than him (for 2 months out of the year I'm 5 years younger.) Sarah Kate had Monday off of school due to a teacher work day so we chose that day to do his birthday shopping. The kids really enjoyed looking for Daddy's presents and even though Kenny said he didn't need anything, we got him a few presents just for fun. I told him it was for the kids. They would have been so disappointed if we didn't do anything.


After buying all the gifts I let the kids choose which one they wanted to be from them. Ben chose the Star Wars movie and the Star Wars guys (Kenny actually bought the guys himself.) The Star Wars guys have since been claimed by Ben, but Kenny knew that would happen when he bought them. Ben has taken a real liking to Star Wars and has accumulated many Star Wars guys. When he found out we were going to get Daddy the movie 'Empire Strikes Back', Ben said "Mom, do you know who likes Star Wars? Me and Dad." I think Ben really likes that he and Kenny both like Star Wars. It kind of bonds them.

Ben with all his Star Wars guys.

Sarah Kate choose the MP3 player. She knows how to pick'm. This particular MP3 player is very much like the one Kenny got last year for his birthday. I've promised him that I will not wash this one like I did the last one. He was happy to get it and Ben and Sarah even recorded the happy birthday song before he got home so he could listen to it. I think it will get a lot of use that is if we (mostly meaning I) can keep it dry.



I decided Hannah and Gracie would give Daddy the speakers for his MP3 player. They seemed ok with that! I gave him masking tape and a Milky Way bar. I know, a little strange. When I asked him what he wanted for his birthday he said he didn't need anything so I could just get him masking tape. So, that's what I got him. The Milky Way was because Monday night he said he wanted one. After opening presents we ordered pizza and watched Star Wars. (I should note that we tried to watch Star Wars. It's almost impossible to watch a movie with 4 small kids.) All in all I think it was a good birthday. A wonderful way to start the birthday season.


The Cake! Kenny likes Angle Food cake so I thought I'd make him one. My pan wasn't big enough, but it was a good cake anyway.

On a side note, it was a good birthday that is until Kenny went to the church that night to play basketball and sprained his ankle. His right ankle has been really bad since, well, before I met him and it seems to be getting worse. It roles easily and all it took was a jump and landing on someones feet to roll it and make him unable to walk. Minus that, I think he had a good birthday.

No comments: