Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

We spent Thanksgiving at home this year. Just our little family. It was sad knowing my family was all together at my Mom and Dad's house and Kenny's sisters and parents were all together in Draper, but at the same time it was nice to be home with just us. Kenny's been gone so much lately that we really enjoyed having a day where he could stay home. I cooked a small Thanksgiving meal with ham instead of turkey (Kenny doesn't like turkey and that's fine with me.) Even though we had a small dinner, we had way too much food, most of which the kids didn't want to eat. I've decided that next year I'll forgo the traditional Thanksgiving dinner and just cook a good dinner everyone will eat.

Our modest Thanksgiving dinner.

We took a trip to Walmart to see if we could find some winter boots for Sarah (she doesn't have any that fit and we haven't been able to find any in her size.) While there we got snack stuff and just enjoyed the fairly empty store and the time together. We came home, finished cooking dinner, ate, watched' Elf' and just spent time together. It was a wonderful, quite day and was refreshing for a change.

The kids waiting for dinner to start.

I have so much to be thankful for. Most people who look at my life could easily wonder what on earth I have to be thankful for, but I assure you there are many things. I'm thankful for my husband who is willing to do anything to try and support his family in this bad economic time of our life. He amazes me at just how hard he works and I have faith that one day it will pay off. I'm so grateful for his amazing ability and willingness to be the best Daddy I know. I'm so thankful for my wonderful, silly, sometimes overwhelming kids. I can't imagine life without them. They keep me on my toes and keep me moving everyday. Because of them I am forced to better myself and find a way to be happy when things get really bad. I love watching them grow and change and interact with one another. They are my greatest joy in life.

I'm so unbelievably thankful for my Heavenly Father. I know without a doubt that my life has been enriched by Him and by the simple fact that I know He's there. It's scary to think of where we would be without His hand in our lives. He has carried me so much more than I'd like to admit. Those times I know I can't go on, I know I just need to talk to Him and he will carry me through. It may sound cheesy, but I've felt it and I know without it there's a good chance I would not be sitting here.

I'm thankful for all the normal things people are thankful for. The church, a beautiful house, friends and family, food and clothing. I may be without many things that people take for granted like a vehicle that has a seat for each of my family members or the ability to buy Christmas presents, but the 'normal' things missing in my life only strengthen my gratitude for the things that I do have. I am a very lucky person and though life is harder than it's ever been in so many ways, I don't think I've ever felt this much gratitude in my heart. Certainly not for the little things that make life possible.

No comments: