Monday, December 14, 2009

Ouch!

I don't know why I'm including this in my blog. Maybe it's because I have a picture of it so I thought I'd share, maybe it's because it's the largest bruise I'll probably ever have and I'm kind of strangely proud of it, maybe for another reason. I'm not sure, but I'm including it anyway.

I started donating plasma the week before Thanksgiving. It gives us a little extra cash and we can definitely us some more cash right now. Kenny tried to donate also, but with his heart problems he was not accepted. So it's up to me to get the extra money this way. Things were going good the first few times I went in. The third time (Dec 3rd) I went in they poked me in my right arm and because of my funny veins in that arm they hit a small vein and a large vein (that's just my guess from what they told me about my veins.) Whatever the reason, the stick was not the best and it left me VERY bruised.

It was extremely painful for about a week afterwards. My arm was very stiff and it hurt to touch it. Now, a week and a half later, the big bruise is mostly gone and all I'm left with are some little bruise on the back side of the arm that are still tender to the touch. I've gone in 3 times since and used my left arm (I think I'll just use that one from now on) and there have been no other problems. Kind of an interesting thing. So if you ever donate plasma, watch your veins.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Ouch! That looks very painful! George has donated plasma before and even done a lung cell harvest. They don't even want my regular blood, let alone anything else! Hope your arm is healing quickly.

MadMadameMim said...

yuck! that just looks sick!

Anonymous said...

I know from experience how painful that was and how long it lasted but I'm sure in spite of that and the extra money it brings in....the feelings of knowing you're doing something to help someone in need makes it all worth while.

You're doing a good thing, just don't put yourself in jeopardy, your family needs you.

Love you all, Aunt Diana