Wednesday, December 4, 2013

# 1 Car

Ben with his trophy and winning car.
Kenny has been working crazy hours during October and into November. Because of this, when it came time for the pinewood derby in early November, Kenny wasn't around to help Ben with his car. Ben has an amazing scout leader right now that was kind enough to help Ben make his car (because there's no way I have any idea how to do it and I had plenty of other things going on.) Anyway, Ben went to Bro. Green's house a few days before the derby and they made a simple car that carried a Lego guy. Ben was thrilled with it and I was just glad he was able to go. We weren't expecting great things, but we were excited to head to the derby anyway.

I arrived with all me kid on Friday the 8th and got the car weighed and put the correct amount of pennies in it to make sure it hit that 5 ounce mark. I was getting ready to put some graphite in the wheels when the little girls came up and asked if they could race a car. Ben's scout leader said I could go get Ben's old cars for them to race and that he would make sure the wheels were taken care of . I went and got the other cars and he gave the car to our neighbor Bro. Robertson who apparently took some time and put a good amount of graphite on it. 

Ben's car kicked butt. It was awesome and won all but one race that it was in. Ben had never done that well before, though his old cars did pretty good as well, and he was so excited. When it came time for the awards, they announced the 3rd and 2nd place winners. I was watching Ben and as a the 2nd place winner was announced his head sunk and he was so sad. He was positive he hadn't won anything. (I will admit I was so sad for him at this point because I didn't think he had won anything either.) When it came time to announce the winner they asked everyone who they thought won. Everyone said Aiden, our neighbor whose car won every race it was in, but apparently was racing slow cars. To our amazement the actual winner was Ben. 

His first place award and trophy.
I wish I would have had a camera on Ben's face when they called his name. It was priceless. He didn't believe it at first and then all his friends started screaming his name. He was sooo excited and shocked at the same time. It was so fun to watch him and to see the pure joy and excitement on his face. It was one of those moments that as an adult, and a mother, you just think it is so precious and sweet. He couldn't stop smiling and at the same time was very generous and thanked all those who helped him. He called daddy, who was very excited for him, and he insisted I take a picture and Facebook it. HaHa! It was a good night.

No comments: