Sunday, May 17, 2009

A 'Wicked' Weekend

I'm way behind on my blogging again so I'm going to try and do a little catch up over the next few days. The first weekend in May my mom got tickets to 'Wicked.' She had called me a few months ago and asked if I wanted to go and, only hearing good things about the play, I told her sure. It was a Sunday matinee, I didn't really want to miss church, but didn't want to skip out on the play either. So Sunday morning came and I got the kids up and dressed for church then I dropped Kenny and the kids off about 15 minutes early for 9:00 church (we only have one vehicle) and headed to Salt Lake. It was a long drive and I hit a few wet, rainy spots, but when I made to to Salt Lake the skies were clearing and it was turning into a beautiful day. I met my mom, her cousins Vicki, Michelle, Alison, and Aunt Linda at a Village Inn parking lot in Ogden. Everyone loaded in my van and we headed the rest of the way to Salt Lake. We arrived early and sat outside the theater for awhile enjoying the beautiful sunshine. We finally headed in and sat down just before the play started.

The play was amazing. I was really impressed and it's something I would definitely go see again. I haven't seen many plays, but it reminded me of 'Phantom of the Opera' and 'Les Miserables' just simply because of it's quality. The songs were great and the story was great. True to what everyone has said, it does make you think differently about the wicked witch of the west. I give it 2 thumbs up and would recommend it to anyone.
While I was gone Kenny suffered through 3 hours of church with the kids by himself. He said they did well and he even got to leave Gracie in nursery by herself for awhile and attend some of Priesthood session. With help from some neighbors he got the kids home, but was greeted by a completely locked up house (I didn't unlock the front door before leaving and I closed the garage when I left. With no keys, he was locked out.) Luckily our neighbors are also our landlords and they had an extra key. That evening he went to a friends house for dessert. It was nice of so many people to help take care of my family while I was gone.

After the play we headed to lunch/dinner at the Red Rock in Salt Lake. It's been a long while since I've been to a restaurant that's not fast food or IHOP and I really enjoyed it. Sometimes it's just nice to be an adult. Though I was the youngest (by at least 10 years) the company was nice as well. I enjoyed seeing and visiting with my family most of which I hadn't seen since the family reunion almost a year ago. Without the kids we were able to talk and relax, not a bad day.

I needed to head out right after eating so I drove everyone back to their cars and started the long drive back to Idaho Falls. I hit some nasty weather with thunder, lightening, wind, and a lot of rain, near Tremonton, but I made it through safely (I hate driving our van in wet, windy weather. It doesn't handle very well.) The rest of the drive was pretty uneventful. I made it home just after 9:00, just before the sun went completely down. It was a long, but wonderful 12 hours.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I'm glad you had such a good time! I have heard lots of good things about "Wicked" and it seems like a good production.

It's nice that you were able to relax a bit and visit with family. I'm sure it was a well-deserved break!