Saturday, May 2, 2009

Enjoy the Little Things, . . .

As many of you may know, life has not gone the smoothest for us lately. This is a very hard post for me to write, but being that this is a history of our family I feel it's important to focus on what's happening in our life. We're now in our 8th month of unemployment with no real signs of anything getting better and things are really starting to get hard. I'll be honest, it's starting to take it's toll on me, and Kenny for that matter, and most days its hard to find the drive to get things done or even smile. I'm sure for me the fact that I'm 32 weeks pregnant doesn't help my emotional state, due to all the hormones running mad in my body, but up until now I've managed to keep that hope alive and focus on the feelings that everything will be OK. Notice I said 'up till now.' The past week or so it's been really hard and no matter how much I pray or try to be upbeat, I just can't erase the numbing fear. Not that I'm afraid we won't be OK, it's just been so long of wondering how and when that I'm running out of the ability to focus on that hope. However, in the midst of all the darkness, Heavenly Father has continually shown me the blessings I do have and the importance of living my life, even in this hard time.

Last weekend was the kite festival here in Idaho Falls. We've become big fans of kites since moving here and wanted to go see all the different kites and what the festival is all about. We weren't able to go due to our unexpected trip to Grace that weekend, but the Wednesday before the festival we took a drive to the kite store to get more information on the festival. While there I noticed a picture of kites on the wall with a beautiful saying underneath it. I had never heard the saying before, but it really touched me. It said, 'Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.' Such a simple quote, but so true at the same time. Things were just starting to look really bad at that point and that quote has really stuck with me. Since then I've tried to focus on the little things of life that make days complete; for those truly are the things that will probably matter most to me when I'm older and those haven't gone away.

Some of the little things:

Flying kites that night with the kids and our neighbor boy followed by a trip to the playground.

Ben flying the trick kite with Daddy.

Sarah's turn to fly kites with Daddy.

Ben, our neighbor Porter, Hannah, and Gracie looking through the fence at the ball they'd throw over.

Watching my kids enjoy the simple things.

Hannah watching her gerbils in the new shelf Daddy made her.
Getting to witness daily the love my kids have for each other.

Hannah and Gracie playing together with toys in their room.
Sarah and Ben discovering that the jets in Mom and Dad's bathtub make a bubble bath that much more bubbly.
Our newest game, sliding down the stairs on a camping pad.
Notice Gracie saying blastoff right before the last slide. This is her new word and she says it all the time.
There have been other signs that I am truly blessed in this time of major stress. This morning I awoke to the news of the passing of a friend in Virginia. She was our primary president when we lived there, and an exceptional person. I'm not sure the details of her passing, but I do know it was very unexpected. She was 35 years old and leaves behind a loving husband and 3 wonderful boys. The news shook me to my core and I've been left feeling very sad, but very grateful for my family and the blessing it is to have them all here with me. I can't imagine what her family is going through and though my life is so stressful right now I would rather be penniless with my family than be without them.
I don't know when life will get better or how it will get better, but I am eternally grateful for the blessing that I do have. I'm so grateful for a loving husband who, in the midst of all this, keeps trying to find work and who cares so deeply about his current inability to provide financially for us. It kills me to watch him struggle with it, but I'm grateful he cares enough about his family to struggle. I'm grateful for my kids. They've put up with a lot from me lately and though my moodiness is starting to rub off on them, they have helped give me the strength I need to get up and go throughout the day. They are the most amazing blessings in my life and I can't imagine my life without them. I'm even grateful for this little guy in my stomach. Though I'm consistently uncomfortable and tired and getting rather large, I'm grateful to feel my little guy moving inside me and knowing that he's growing like he needs to be. I'm grateful for all those who have given us support. For Sarah and all her long talks with me. I don't like to talk about my problems, I don't like to burden other people, but I really appreciate those who have shown their love and support in big and small ways. I really do have a lot to be thankful for and Heavenly Father has given me many blessings. For now I'm trying to focus on those things and the little things that make my days special and hopefully soon life will work out for us in the job department.

4 comments:

Mama Winn said...

"In speaking of mothers generally, I especially wish to praise and encourage young mothers. The work of a mother is hard, too often underalded work. The young years are often those when either husband or wife - or both - may still be in school or in those earliest and leanest stages of developing the husband's breadwinning capacities. Finances fluctuate daily between low and nonexistent. The apartment is usually decorated in one of two smart designs - Deseret Industries provincial or early Mother Hubbard. The car, if there is one, runs on smooth tires and an empty tank. But with night feedings and night teethings, often the greatest challenge of all for a young mother is simply fatigue. Through these years, mothers go longer on less sleep and give more to others with less personal renewal for themselves than any other group I know at any other time in life. It is not surprising when the shadows under their eyes sometimes vaguely resemble the state of Rhode Island...Do the best you can through these years, but whatever else you do, cherish that role that is so uniquely yours and for which heaven itself sends angels to watch over you and your little ones." Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

I love you, Katie.

Carolyn said...

Oh Katie, I'm sorry that things have been so hard lately. You're such a trooper and I'm glad you're hanging in there. I like that quote you shared about enjoying the simple things.

Good luck with everything! We'll keep you in our prayers.

Colette said...

Katie, we just had our Stake Conference and Elder Russell M. Nelson came. His main message to us was that we can and do find joy and peace in the gospel especially during these times of economic ruins and also about raising our children in righteousness. I love knowing that we can pay tithing and that the windows of heaven are opened to us. It is a comfort that we are not in charge but that we are here only to be obedient to all of God's commands. I can tell that you are a wonderful loving mother and wife. You have a beautiful family and I know that you will be blessed. I will include you in my prayers. Thanks for the great quote it is one that we all need to remember at all times. What a great time to teach your children about getting answers to prayer, your prayers will be answered!!!!

Sarah Jean said...

I love you Katie! I am thankful for the time we have had living so close to each other. What better way to get to be good friends? You have a wonderful family-a lot of little bright lights to make some of the dark days bearable. If I can do anything, I am happy to help. Pray right!?! :D