Sunday, May 31, 2009

No Longer A 1st Grader

Well, Sarah Kate is officially no longer a 1st grader. I can't believe it. It seems that school just started and now she's out for the summer. She had a great last week of school. The weather was beautiful which allowed for many fun activities outside and allowed for the feel of summer to be in the air. The first grade had a spelling bee on Wednesday starting with each individual class. I was a bad mom who kept putting off studying for the spelling bee until the last minute,so we started studying late Monday night and finished late Tuesday night. I felt bad sending her to school not completely ready, but I resolved to do better next year. To my surprise she made the top 6 in her class which meant she got to compete against all the other top first graders. The spelling bee went long and they had to continue it the next day. We studied a little more Wednesday night and sent her off to school making sure she knew that even if she didn't win it would be OK and we were so proud of her for all she'd already accomplished. She ended up switching the i and the e in the word friend and that made her come in 6th in the entire 1st grade. We were so proud of her and we were so proud at how composed she was with losing. She's such a smart girl and we're very lucky to have her as our daughter.

Friday was the official last day of school. It was really only a half day and really only a play day, but in my opinion that's how the last day of school should be anyway. Sarah got off the bus around 11:30 carrying a little bag containing a goldfish. I was a little unsure what to do with the goldfish she had won at the carnival they had that morning, so I put it in a bowl and promised her we would pick up a fish tank later that day. We ended up going to Walmart, getting a small fish tank and 3 more fish, that way everyone gets a fish. She also came home with a Redvine licorice rope and proclaimed that it meant she had passed 1st grade. I guess all the kids in 1st grade got one as a symbol of their passing first grade. She was so excited and she even shared it with her brother and sisters.

So first grade is over and passed for Sarah Kate and she is really looking forward to 2nd. She's very sad to be leaving Mrs. Ramos' class, but the thought of 2nd grade if very intriguing. Ben is also very excited for summer. Not only does he get Sarah Kate home all day now, but he's one step closer to kindergarten. My kids are growing up so fast. Soon I be talking about them graduating from elementary school, or worse, high school and these years will all be a fond memory. Hopefully that won't happen too quickly. :)

On a side note, Monday morning Sarah Kate came in my room while I was still in bed. Ben and Hannah were watching TV and instead of watching with them, she came and stood in front of me, staring at me. I was a little perplexed and asked her what she needed. She said, " I thought you'd have balloons, cake, and streamers for my first day out of school." She was so genuinely disappointed that it made me laugh to myself. I had to break the horrible news that I hadn't arranged a party for her, but that maybe we could do something fun that day. Kids are so funny.

2 comments:

Mama Winn said...

Wow! How can our little Sarah Kate be done with first grade already?!?! You're right, it's only a hop skip and a jump until her first day of high school and her first date and she's off to college...savor every moment!
As I hear from the Winn girls at home of swollen feet and contractions and high blood pressure, I've been reminded that you'll be doing those same fun things too! Good luck with your delivery and we'll be praying for a safe arrival. All our love.

Carolyn said...

It's so cute that Sarah Kate was disappointed that you didn't have a big party planned for her first day out. She's adorable.

I hope you're doing well! I can't believe you have less than three weeks until your due date!