Thursday, January 22, 2009

It's Surgery For Hannah

After nearly 18 months and countless doctors and therapist we think we may have narrowed down why Hannah can't speak correctly. It's wonderful news if only we could bypass the surgery that comes with it. I took Hannah to get a hearing test last Friday and they discovered she has a significant amount of water in her ears. This alone causes many kids to have a hard time hearing and thus speaking correctly, but when you couple it with what was determined at the Ear, Nose, and Throat doctors on Tuesday you get a child that talks like this. . .
















At the ENT's on Tuesday he told us that Hannah did indeed have a significant amount of water in her ears (why did no one catch this before?) and that the negative pressure was so sever that they didn't want to wait to put the tubes in. It was also determined that her tonsils are too big. This was suggested by her speech therapist and confirmed by the ENT. They believe that her large tonsils are making it so the pallet that covers the airway to your nose when you talk cannot do it's job. Those big tonsils keep getting in the way. So out come the tonsils and in go the tubes. It's a double whammy for Hannah, but hopefully it will make a world of difference.

She goes in on Wednesday the 28th for both surgeries. I feel so bad for her and what she has to go through, but I'm hopeful that in the long run it will help her speak and be less frustrated. She's such an amazing kid and despite her inability to speak she very rarely throws tantrums and is generally such a sweetheart. I'm grateful she's mine and I look forward to more communicative Hannah in the future.

7 comments:

Dan and Sharon said...

http://linesfamily5.blogspot.com/

My girl friend had to have get tubes for her 2 year old son last month. Check out her block. She was worried about it, but everything went great.

Good luck Hannah.

edsajadaha05 said...

Our best wishes for Hannah! She is getting so big!

Justin and Coralie said...

We have had Hannah (and Ella) in our prayers as they both get ready for surgery. It's nerve wracking, but I hope it helps her with her speech. Jaden has had to have tubes put in his ears twice and it was scary both times, but it has helped him. I know that's different than what Hannah is doing (since she's getting two things done!) but I hope it goes just as well. Keep us posted :)

Carolyn said...

We'll be praying that everything goes well this upcoming Wednesday, with Hannah's surgery! I wish we lived closer so we could help you somehow.

Todd and Julie Worthen said...

There is nothing more difficult than watching your child go into surgery! I hope everything goes well for Hannah! (and you!) It will be nice for her to be able to communicate better - it will be worth it! Good Luck!

Sarah Jean said...

She is incredibly patient! We'll keep you all in our prayers. I am happy to help in any way. How about a large amount of icecream since I am sure the other kids will want to join her in having this treat. It will be fun to hear what she has to say.

Danika said...

My brother had this exact thing wrong with him and had this surgery done when he was three. He started talking shortly after, so I bet she'll do great! I guess the surgery's over now, so I hope everything went well!