Saturday, January 31, 2009

Goodbye January Thaw, Hello Sprained Wrist

The week before Hannah's surgery was a pleasant week here in Idaho Falls. The snow had pretty much all melted or blown away, the streets were clear, and the temperatures reached the mid to upper 30's. We were in heaven. I had decided to take advantage of the weather and let the kids play outside a little more. They road their bikes and scooters and I even took them to the playground one day. The playground was still mostly surrounded by snow, but it was outside and helped release some energy so it was OK.

Ben and Sarah swinging.

Hannah enjoying the swings.

The day I took the kids to the park we enjoyed a little swinging time, a little playing time, and a little crashing and almost breaking our wrist time. The kids were having a lot of fun, but it was starting to get real cold again so I told them we needed to go. They could each do one more thing. Ben wanted to climb on the outside of the big tube slide. This isn't unusual for him so I went ahead and let him while I tried to get my ever growing pregnant body in the tubes to drag out Gracie. I didn't see him fall, but I hear it. The lady 50 feet away heard it, it was that loud.

Gracie loves climbing in the tubes and going down the slides.

Ben climbing the outside of the slide he fell off of.

I think he fell flat on his back with his arm under him funny. When I got to him the first thing out of his mouth was, "Mom, I think I need to go to the doctors." As a mom, I of course panicked, but as time went on and he felt better quickly I realized he had probably just gotten the wind knocked out of him and he'd probably never felt that before. He did land funny with his wrist underneath him and it was hurting him, I could tell by the way he was holding it. I checked to make sure he could move it and then scooped him up and took him home.


When we got home Kenny checked his wrist as well. He could move it in all different directions and when we'd push on it and ask him if it hurt he'd say, "Well kind of, I think." We were pretty confident it wasn't broken, just sprained so we wrapped it up and had him take it easy for the rest of the day. I told Kenny I knew it was a minor incident, but I didn't like it at all. I've decided my kids are NEVER allowed to get really hurt, because I don't think I could handle it. No broken bones, no stitches, no car accidents, nothing. I think that's a reasonable request don't you?


The January thaw didn't last too long and a few days later we got a huge snow storm dumping around 6 inches of snow overnight. We've been enjoying a different kind of weather now, taking the kids sledding, building snowmen at friends houses, watching it snow most days of the week, and helping Mommy scrap the driveway. It's been wonderful except for Tuesday, the day before Hannah's surgery, when the temperature only made it to 2 degrees. That was a little cold and not much fun for playing in. Oh well! It's an Idaho winter and we'll take it.

3 comments:

Justin and Coralie said...

I'm so glad it wasn't broken! That would be really hard as a mom. I'm glad to hear Hannah's surgery went well too and I hope that Kenny had a wonderful birthday :)

Natalie said...

I am glad Ben's wrist was okay. If you find out how to totally avoid injuries please let me know. We have already had lots of xrays and stitches around here!

Todd and Julie Worthen said...

What a fun week - playing on the playground one day to building a snowman the next - crazy weather!I'm glad Ben didn't brake his wrist! I guess boys will be boys!