Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Please Lock Your Doors At Night

So this thing happened to me the other morning and it's been on my mind a lot since so I thought I'd blog about it. It was early Friday morning (the Friday that ended our week of sickness.) Gracie was still not feeling the best and she couldn't sleep. Kenny and I thought maybe it would help her settle down if she slept a little while with us. If you've ever slept with a 1 year old you know sleep is an understatement. I was able to get a little sleep, though not very soundly, for a few hours and around 4 in the morning I was awaken by the low sound of a car. At first I thought it was idling, but then I realized it was driving very slowly down our street towards our house.

The night before I had done my normal routine before going to bed. I turned the porch light off, locked the deadbolt, and checked on the kids. Everything was great, minus the sick kids and little sleep, until I heard that car. I was not quite all the way awake, therefore I wasn't thinking clearly, but as the car got closer to the house I heard someone turn the front doorknob. Because I had only locked the deadbolt, the knob was free to turn. I heard it turn and then pushing from outside the door, then they let go and tried again. I laid there frozen in bed, still not processing things as clearly as I could have and not knowing what to do.

My first thought was how grateful I was that I had locked the door the night before. There have been few nights when I've forgotten to lock the door and I was so grateful that was not one of those nights. I didn't want to wake Kenny up because I was just sure he would charge out trying to find out who it was and they'd shoot him (remember I wasn't thinking clearly.) However, as I lay there I knew I couldn't live with myself if they robbed one of my neighbors. I went outside into the garage where I had a clear view of the road and looked for them. I had heard the car drive slowly away, but I wanted to make sure it had left the neighborhood. It had, but I still wasn't content. I checked all the doors (our sliding door that leads to the backyard was unlocked and that scared me to death) and I checked all through the house. When I was sure we were safe I went back to bed. I didn't sleep, of course, I was too shook up, but I did go back to bed.

After discussing it with Kenny a few days later I realized I didn't react in the best way. I should have woken him up (when I'm thinking clearly I know he wouldn't run out at night chasing robbers.) It would have been good for him to be awake if they had managed to get in the house. He also may have been able to get a license plate number or something. I should have called the cops regardless of the fact that they didn't get in my house. I hate thinking that because I didn't call the cops they may have gotten in someones house and stolen something.

I've learned to always lock my doors at night, no matter what. We have a very narrow entry way leading to our front door and without the porch light on it get really dark. I've decided to pay the extra money and just keep the light on all night. It helps me sleep better. As I laid there frozen with my one year old on my stomach, listening to someone trying to break into my house that fear that only a mother can have swept over me. I'm so grateful my children are safe, that our house is safe, and that I was smart enough to lock my door. Though they probably wouldn't have gotten away with much, the fear of someone like that in your house is not a pleasant one.

So my tip to you all is to lock your doors at night. I live in little small Idaho Falls and I never thought something like this would happen to me. It can happen anywhere so no matter where you live take a few minutes every night and make sure your family is safely locked in your house.

5 comments:

The DeVito's said...

Oh my goodness! I would have been freaking out! I can't believe you went after them, I definitely would have sent Frank AND the great dane. I would have been very grateful for the 180 lbs and big bark that night!

Todd and Julie Worthen said...

Wow! I can't believe that happened to you! How scary! Thanks for the reminder - Todd thinks I am paranoid because I check our doors at least twice every night before we go to bed (I guess he has gotten locked out of our house several times even during the day when he goes outside to check on our dog - okay, maybe I am a little paranoid - if I see a door unlocked, I lock it!) Now I can tell him I am paranoid for a good reason! I am glad that they weren't able to get inside your house and that you are all okay!

Sarah Jean said...

My stomach got tight just reading this! In my neighborhood it would be easy for someone to make a mistake and go in the wrong door. I better make sure to ALWAYS lock!! Better pass that on to my husband. Glad you are safe.

Camille said...

Scary! I like to keep ours locked at night too. Some people think I am weird...after all, we live in Happy Valley, right? Ha, ha... I will have to tell you about the break-in during my college days sometime. It was pretty scary too...

Mama Winn said...

your playhouse looks fun. can the kids reach the garage door track from the playhouse? if so, be careful of fingers as that track can be lethal for little fingers! (sorry. it's a mom thing.) glad you locked your door! and as for advice on how to deal with 5 kids, just take them one at a time. now when you want advice on how to deal with six kids, just take them two at a time! i'm so happy for you! love, your favorite aunt nancy