Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Dairy Farms Are NOT For Pregnant Women

The kids on the hay bales. (Minus 2 of Amy's boys)

On Wednesday the 5th I took the kids back to my friends dairy farm. We had some other friends in town, Scott and Jill Hobbs, who used to live in Virginia with us (they moved to Alabama a few month after we moved to Idaho.) Hobbs were in town visiting family and wanted to take their girls to the farm. We thought I would be a great chance to see them. Kenny stayed home sick so it was just me and the kids.

The kids had a blast and it was so fun seeing Jill and Scott. Being with them and Amy and her boys left me with such a comforting feeling. We haven't made many friends here and the friendships we've made are nowhere near the friendships we had in Virginia. Being with Virginia friends was so great and it had a feeling of home to it. I was so grateful to be invited and to be able to spend some time with them. It sure made me miss Virginia though. Well the friends anyway. Do you think all of Lake Ridge First ward can move to Idaho Falls?!

Scott, Ellie, and Sarah holding the kittens.


The kids enjoyed the farm very much, of course. The first thing they did when we arrived was chase after the kitty's, even Hannah who had been clawed by the cat before we left last time. They commented on how they'd gotten bigger since the last time we saw them. They remembered Hobbs right away and gave Ellie (4) and Audrey (2) a hug as soon as we arrived. It was fun to see Hannah and Audrey hug and wander around together. They were good friends in Virginia and seemed to remember each other. We fed the calves and climbed to the top of the hay barn. After playing on the hay bales a little the kids wanted to go in the milk barn.
Jill and Audrey feeding the calves.

Now I love farms as much as the next person. They're fun to look at animals, kids love them, they produce food and you can learn how that food is produced, but I just had to thank Kenny for not being a dairy farm telling him if he was we would probably only have 2 kids. I've always had a problem with the smell of milk when I'm pregnant, but this milk barn was WAY more than I could handle. There was no way I was going in there. Luckily for me the other adults took my kids and I stayed out in the cold with Gracie. If your pregnant, I advise you stay away from dairy farms.
Hannah and Audrey in the milk barn.

After seeing how we get milk, Amy took us to her brothers house. One of his pigs had just had baby piglet the day before and he was going to let the kids hold them. What a treat that was! The kids had a blast as those poor piglet were passed from little hand to little hand. It was so nice of them to let our kids have that experience. Pigs are so much cuter when they're babies.

Sarah Kate with her piglet.


I didn't get a good picture of Ben with the pigs, so this will have to do.

Hannah holding the black piglet. She loved those baby pigs.

2 comments:

Dan and Sharon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan and Sharon said...

You all look so great. I was telling Taryn the story of the Cow farm and how all her friends got to see each other in Idaho. She misses you all.