Saturday, September 18, 2010

While Mom's Away, The Kids Will Play

Playing with Daddy

We were really fortunate to have some wonderful help with the kids while I was in the hospital having Adam. It's so nice to know we're surrounded by amazing people who are so willing to help. As a mother it means a lot to know my kids are being taken care of while I'm not there with them.

As I had mentioned earlier, the day Adam was born our good friend Sara volunteered to watch all 5 kids. She's amazing, that or really crazy. Sara has 4 kids of her own (a girl Sarah Kate's age, twin boys Ben's age, and a boy Gracie's age.) Our kids absolutely love her kids and they were so excited to be going to their house. We dropped them off a little before noon and Kenny didn't pick them up until almost 9:00 that night. I'm sure it was overwhelming for Sara, but we were so grateful. The kids had a blast playing with their friends and Sara said they were good (I'm choosing to believe her.)

The newest big brother

Grandma came to the hospital to meet Adam.

On a side note, I find it kind of funny that Sara was the one who watched our kids. This means we've had a Sarah watch our kids for the past 3 births. When Gracie was born our great friend (whom we miss dearly) Sarah Gulick watched the kids, with Daniel my sister-in-law Sarah was one of the people who watched the kids, and now with Adam we had a Sara watch the kids. We tend to surround ourselves with Sarah's and I must say they're all amazing people.

Washing Grandma's car. Now that's fun. :)

Ben's a good scrubber.

Hannah loves the bubbles. Hopefully they got Grandma's car nice and clean.

The day after Adam was born was a Friday which means my mother-in-law had the day off of work. She volunteered to come watch the kids so we could have some time with Adam. Kenny brought the kids to the hospital that morning and then took them home just in time to meet grandma. Helen came very prepared and the kids had a blast with her. They got to wash grandma's car (yes to my kids this is a fun thing) they made rock people, they made cereal necklaces, and colored many pictures. They did so many fun things with her that we had to thank her for making our life as parents more difficult. Kenny teased her that now the kids know what it's like to have someone do things with and for them and we were now going to have to step it up as parents. Probably something we should do anyway, but thanks grandma. Lucky for the kids, Daddy did play with them while he was home and even make them ice cream treats. Maybe grandma's playfulness did wear off on us. :)

Sarah making a cereal necklace.

All 4 kids making their necklaces.

Hannah filled her string completely with cereal.

I missed my kids so much while I was away, but it was nice to know they were well taken care of. Grandma brought Sarah and Hannah to the hospital with her to meet baby Adam. The girls loved the time with Grandma and I was so happy to see all of them. Helen spent the night on Friday night and this allowed Kenny to sleep at the hospital with Adam and I. The next morning we left the hospital around 11:00 and came home to a clean house and 5 happy kids. I'm so grateful for all those who helped us and I'm so lucky to know such wonderful people.

The kids rock people

Having ice cream with Daddy.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I'm glad your kids were well taken care of while you were in the hospital! Sounds like you are surrounded by good people, like you said.