Friday, April 30, 2010

Our First Idaho Snow Day

Spring has been slow to start this year, but I'm not all that surprised. I mean, we do live in Idaho. When April hits I'm ready for spring and warmer temperatures, but I really don't mind springtime snow. It normally snows a little, makes everything white and beautiful, and then 2 or 3 days later the snow has melted and we're back to spring. We experienced this cycle most of the later part of March and early April.

Around 6:30 on April 6th, I was woken up by a phone call. I was still so tired and to be honest at first, I thought it was my alarm (I use my phone as my alarm clock.) Luckily I was coherent enough before the phone stopped ringing to realize it was not the alarm clock. I looked at the number to discover it was the school. I answered just in time to hear a prerecorded message telling me school was canceled because of the snow. SNOW!!!! It's April 6th, I thought. How could we have gotten enough snow on April 6th to cancel school. I really didn't care all that much about the amount of snow, all I cared about was that I could go back to sleep. So I turned off my alarm, which was set to go off in about 10 minutes, and rolled over and happily went back to sleep. I must say, I think it was the best phone call I've received in who knows how long. :)
The girls attempting to make a snow man. They didn't get to far before they gave up and did something else.

It turns out we only got about 4 to 6 inches of snow, but for some reason they canceled school for that. The only thing I can think is that because it was April no one was prepared for it. Whatever the reason, we were glad to have a day off. I must say I found it a little odd that after living here for nearly 2 years, our first and only snow day was in April. That's so different from Virginia. In fact they missed a TON of school this year because of snow. I realize they got 2 huge (at least a foot of snow) storms during the year, but if I remember correctly they missed about a month of school. If it had been Idaho we maybe would have missed 2 days. Got to love the west. We're more practical.
Ben eating snow off the sand and water table.

Gracie sliding on the castle slide. That's much more fun for a 2 year old than making a snowman is.

So we spent most of the day inside playing together. I did, however, let the kids go outside to play in the fresh snow. We had to dig out their snow clothes (which I had just put away the week before) and get them all bundled up, but they had a lot of fun. Another thing about spring snow is it's generally wetter and the air temperature is warmer. I felt kind of bad bundling up my kids to send them out in the 45 + degree weather, however the snow was so wet, I had to. They didn't mind to much and enjoyed playing with the last snow of the season.

I chose this picture so you can see just how wet the snow was.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I bet getting that phone call was awesome! Your snow day looks like fun.

Katie, I can't believe you're 23 weeks along! Congratulations! Your kids are so adorable.