Monday, June 15, 2009

Shuttles and Lame Trains

Kenny headed back to Brigham on Tuesday the 9th and asked if I wanted to go along or stay home. Being so pregnant, I'm very happy to not have the kids home all day with nothing to do, so I agreed to tag along. We decided to check out the Golden Spike sight which was not too far from where we were going. I've wanted to take the kids there to see the trains for awhile and this sounded like the perfect opportunity. We packed a lunch and headed out mid morning. Kenny had to drops some things off at the place he had interviewed with which was out west of Brigham City in the middle of nowhere. It's called ATK (formally known as Thycol) and the reason they are out in the middle of no where is because they make parts for the space shuttle. Outside their building they had a display of all the different parts of the shuttle and the rockets that they make and have made. The kids loved running through the different huge parts asking what each one was. It was actually quite impressive.

After the quick view of the rockets and shuttle parts we headed to the Golden Spike sight that was only about 10 miles away. This is the sight where back in the 1860's the railroad from the east met up with the railroad from the west and people could finally travel across the entire country by train. I remember going there when I was little, and I remember it being way cooler. To be completely truthful, it was extremely lame. When I came as a young child I remember 2 trains parked face to face just like they did when the railroad was complete. I thought they had trains you could go in and people dressed as old time engineers to talk to and take pictures with. There was none of that this time. There was one train you could look at and that was all. Really, really lame. To make matter worse a few minutes after we got out to the train it blew all of it's steam in a very loud couple minute burst out the top. This TERRIFIED poor Hannah and she didn't want to have anything to do with train after that. I felt so bad because she was the most excited to see the 'train track' (as she called it.) Oh well! We know not to go back there again. I'm glad we got to see the rockets and shuttle parts or the entire trip would have been a wash.

Even though it was lame I wanted a picture of the kids in front of the train. Gracie was not cooperating, and Hannah wouldn't sit unless I was with her. We never did get a good picture, but I guess that's fitting for the outing.

No comments: