Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Blue and Purple Belt

The kids had their Tae Kwon Do tests last Friday. The school has decided to change the way testing is done in order to free up their Saturdays. Instead of having the option of testing each month they have now gone to testing every other month. This means every kid tests at the same time. Sarah Kate tested with the Green, Purple, Light Blue, and Blue belts. I counted over 55 kids. It took forever and I'm sure was a fire harassed, all those kids and parents crammed in there. I wonder if they'll keep it that way or change it back.

Anywho!!! The kids did really well with their forms and their board breaking. BenBen got to do the 8 basic moves for his form (it consists of 6 blocks and 2 punches) and he broke the board with his elbow. He got it on his first try and immediately said, "That was easy!" I think it took him by surprise. It's been fun to see them progress in karate. Ben's doing well and by the end of the year he should be a Little Ninja Black Belt. (Little Ninja's are the kids under 5.)


Ben Breaking His Board With His Elbow!

As I said earlier, Sarah Kate's test was packed solid. Kenny and I figured it would be crowded and so decided that only one of us would go and the other would stay home with the little kids. I got the honor of going and I'm really glad we didn't take the kids. It took me 10 minutes to get in the building and the test itself took over an hour and a half. Sarah Kate did very well though and did her form spotlessly. She had to break her board with a back kick. It was challenging because you have to stand backwards and kick. It's hard to see where the board is. It took her a few times (she's afraid of the board which doesn't help) and then she got a little help from Master Lee who's wonderful with kids. After he came to help it only took her about 5 tries before she broke it with a wonderful kick. It was very powerful, I know I was holding the board. I have video of it that I want to add, but can't seem to get it to work. I'll keep trying so check back later to see if it's up.

Sarah With Her Green and Now Purple Belt.

The kids did great and they love having test day's. It's so neat to get new belts. Ben was sooooo happy to get rid of the yucky purple belt and trade for a cool blue one. Sarah on the other hand was thrilled to get the purple one.

Ben Showing Off His Blue Belt and His Muscles!

No comments: