Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Saying Goodbye To An Amazing Man

I have had the privileged over the past 12 1/2 years to belong to an amazing family who have not only inspired me to be a better person, but have welcomed me with open arms and made me feel loved.  At the head of this great family is a man that is like no other.  To say he's amazing is not enough.  I am so honored to have know him and I feel blessed to be called his family.  This man would be Kenny's grandpa, James Skiffington Holderness.

Grandpa with the little girls back in May of 2010.

Grandpa Holderness has been declining in health the last few years, but this April he took a turn for the worst.  He was diagnosed with congenital heart failure and was given a few weeks to 6 months to live.  We were all so happy when he was able to attend the Holderness reunion back in July and everyone present knew it was special because it was the last one with Grandpa there.  

On my way back from picking huckleberries I stopped for gas in Brigham City.  I checked my e-mail on my phone and discovered an e-mail from Grandma Holderness.  It told of Grandpa's quick decline and unresponsiveness.  There were no details just a quick message to let the family know he could go at anytime.  I immediately called Kenny, who was still in Grace, and found out none of them had heard anything.  Helen and her sister Robin, who was spending the night in Grace, called family in Boise and discovered that Grandpa was indeed very ill.  He passed away the following morning, with his wife by his side.  

Though we knew it was coming and had months to prepare, the shock of losing Grandpa Holderness was enough to bring tears to my eyes.  I will miss that man emensely and even as I write this, 2 months later, I am filled with sadness over the loss of such a great man.  Grandpa Holderness was one of a kind.  He loved his wife and family very much and you could see it every moment you were around him.  He was a very patient man who also enjoyed his independence.  He loved Jesus Christ and set such a good example of what a true Christian is like.  I feel honored to have known him and to have known him before he started declining in health.  I will never forget the example he set for those around him and I strive to be a little more like him every day.

Grandpa had two funerals.  One was in Boise on September 12 and the other was in Grace on September 13th.  He was buried in the lego cemetery in the land that he loved to spend time in.  The family got together for a beautiful funeral and a nice luncheon afterwards.  It was so nice to see everyone, it just would have been nicer under better circumstances.  We'll miss you Grandpa and never forget you.

Taking the coffin to the van.  
The family waiting for the burial service.
The casket bearers bringing the casket to the grave sight.


Helen and her mom, Ardelle, at Grandpa's grave sight.

No comments: