Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Huckleberries

Yummy huckleberries all covered in rain!
We spent some time in August and September in Grace at my in-laws.  Kenny was there helping an old neighbor from Idaho Falls finish up a potato shed so the kids and I would go up on the weekends to see him.  One weekend in late August we decided to head up in the mountains to check on the huckleberries.  To our surprise they were not only ripe, but VERY plentiful.  We headed down the mountain and called the family to arrange a huckleberry picking day for the next weekend.

Hannah showing off the huckleberries.
The following Saturday, September 5th we headed up with Gary and Helen, Kingston's and Uncle Patrick's family for a fun filled day of huckleberry picking.  It was wonderful, relaxing, and productive.  I don't think in my 12 or so years of huckleberry picking that I have ever seen that many huckleberries ready to pick.  It was so much fun to sit down, look around and see thousands and thousands of huckleberries.  The kids all played so nicely together and it allowed Kenny and I to pick for hours.  We got so many huckleberries and I'm so excited to make jam and maybe ice cream this year.  We had planned on going up with just our family the follow weekend, but that night, on the drive home, we got some terrible news about Kenny's Grandpa Holderness.  We were unable to pick huckleberries the next weekend, but even without that extra day, we got more berries then we've ever had.  I love huckleberry picking and can't wait for it to come again next year.
The kids headed up the mountain in Grandpa's Truck.
This is why we came.
Headed down after a long day.  Sorry, I didn't take any pictures while we were there.  I guess we were too busy picking.

No comments: